THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MDRex

Knows what a fatty is.
A local Lowes has a damaged Char-Griller Kamado for $40. The hinge bolts ripped out of the lid, the front edge on the base (where the lid latch is) is dented in a little and the cast iron grate has about 5 rods missing on one side.

I have a Kamado Joe, but it seems like too good a score to let go.

Is this a worthy score? Or should I leave it alone?

And does anyone know what a replacement CI grate costs?

Or the grate diameter?

I think I'd have no problem fixing this thing for about $30.

Read on another forum that a replacement grate from Char-Griller is $25. Not sure about shipping, however.
The diameter is 19 5/8 or thereabouts, as I recall reading.
Call Char-Griller for better info.

I think it would be easy to use some SS hardware to bolt the lid back to the hinge. I think I could use my slide hammer to pull the front dent back out and I could even cook on the grate how it is, as just one section is broken. I just can't justify buying it yet since I have the Kamado Joe.

If anyone wants it, it is at the Lowes off 175 in Columbia, Maryland.

after my first chargriller I would never spend another dime on any of their products. I would actually pay someone 40 bucks to take my duo away, IMO chargriller sells the most sub-par merchandise out of any BBQ company and from my experience their customer service is wretched!

So in conclusion I would say leave it where it is. 40 is cheap, but its still a lot to pay for a major headache.

Back