Char-Griller Lid is Twisted and Won't Close Fully Without Force

Charlie Savoie

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Charles Svoie
I assembled a new Char-Griller Smoking Outlaw today. Many parts had dings and dents but that has been typical of every Char-Griller I have ever bought. After I fastened the lid to the base, I closed it. It moves freely but the angles of the two parts do not line up so the lid does not align with the base properly. The lid is twisted relative to the base and sits on one front corner of the base lip rather than going over it.

I tried tweaking the lid but it just springs back to the misaligned position. The ears that the hinge pins slide through looked bent so I straightened them with no improvement.

Anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it? P.S. I can't return it because I am outside of the return window. I need to fix it.

I'd be on the phone with customer service.

You might mention how many folks are gonna hear about it if they do well and replace the whole thing with one that doesn't suck.

If the lid is not curved enough to follow the contour of the cooking chamber, consider using a tie-down strap with attached ratchet, encircling the lid with end-hooks connected, apply enough tightening pressure to bring it to a slightly over corrected shape, then leave it there a week. Holding it in that position may create a new "metal memory" for the shape of lid.

If it is overly curved on one corner, attach the end hooks of strap directly to opposing edges of the lid, along the outside surface, ratcheting until the curve opens up a bit. Again leaving for a few days to a week.

The ratchet give you leverage and the ability to hold a relatively constant pressure.

you might be able to use a 2X4 bloc of wood on a corner and push down on the other side to tweak it back into shape and that is how I fixed twisted car doors at work in the body shop .

If the lid is not curved enough to follow the contour of the cooking chamber, consider using a tie-down strap with attached ratchet, encircling the lid with end-hooks connected, apply enough tightening pressure to bring it to a slightly over corrected shape, then leave it there a week. Holding it in that position may create a new "metal memory" for the shape of lid.

If it is overly curved on one corner, attach the end hooks of strap directly to opposing edges of the lid, along the outside surface, ratcheting until the curve opens up a bit. Again leaving for a few days to a week.

The ratchet give you leverage and the ability to hold a relatively constant pressure.

The lid seems to be proper shape. It will close completely if I force it. It seems to be tweaked to an angle that does not match the base. Thinking of that. Maybe I will try resetting the base on the legs. Maybe that will fix it.

you might be able to use a 2X4 bloc of wood on a corner and push down on the other side to tweak it back into shape and that is how I fixed twisted car doors at work in the body shop .

I tried pushing it. I can push the front corner of the lid about 3-4 inches inches over the edge where it sits on the base lip. It just springs back to the same position. If it is not raining tomorrow, I am going to try to rest the base on the legs but I am not real optimistic because that won't change the interface between the lid and base at the hinge. It seems like the problem is probably in the hinge point.

Last edited:

I'll look at that tomorrow. It could be that the R side part of the lid is bent slightly or maybe it warped when it was welded to the curved top part.

Back