THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tb80

Take a breath!
I was checking out Weber's Original Gourmet System. At first I was intrigued by the Wok and and Griddle. However, as I started thinking about it, I figured my cast iron skillets could essentially do the exact same thing. Can anyone tell me what makes the Original Gourmet System better than just using my cast iron skillets? I am all for buying new bbq accessories, but I need to at least be able to justify it.

edit - sorry for the typo "Outdoor" instead of "Original" in the heading.

I would go with the craycort system. If thats too $$, get either the stok or char broil cast iron grates. And you're right about using the regular cast iron on the grill.

I have no burning desire to get the the Weber system. I have plenty of cast iron to use on my grill, but no CI wok. However there are CI woks on Amazon for less. As for the grill insert, I have this instead:

DSC_5951-PP.JPG

I call that my magic grate. It was in our yard as part of a fire pit when we moved here in '87. When I got a used Silver A a couple years ago I found it fits well enough to use in that. The bars are about 3/4" top to bottom so there is a lot of mass there for great grill marks. The bars are spaced close enough so that small stuff tends not to fall through. (Who of us has not sacrificed a burger to the gods of fire on a wire grate. :wink: )

The best thing about it is the perfect fit in a 22.5 Weber kettle. There's just enough space along the side to open the hinged part of the grate. And it will hold a lot more food than the circular Weber insert.

I use the Craycort CI grate on my Weber. Works very well. I also have the Weber System and while it works OK the CI insert is only big enough for one good size steak at a time. If you have a large CI skillet it will work as well as a wok. :cool:

Back