THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

el_matt

Babbling Farker
I just acquired a 11.75" cast iron skillet, at a second hand store. I got it for $4.50, it'll be strictly bbq use, so I couldn't justify an expensive one. Other than the size, the only other marking is an "R", on the bottom, and on the handle.

I highly doubt I found the holy grail of cast iron, just curious what you all think I have. I've stripped it down, and am starting to reseason it. Looking forward to your thoughts.

This is not a trick, I know nothing about this piece, other than it's mine, and I got it for a song.

Matt

Just a letter is likely a "molder's mark", not a "maker's mark". Hard for anyone to guess at more about it without pics - and even then, might not be able to say much more than "yup it's a CI skillet with an "R" on the bottom". Regardless, once re-seasoned it will probably be awesome for your intended use, especially for that price!

I've got a nice collection of Griswold Cast Iron...but my go to CI pan is a no-name "korean" pan. works great

I'd like to post pics, but I've had nothing but difficulty trying in the past.

It is nice and smooth.

My work partner and his BIL, think it's a Wagner, from the 1950's. Apparently Wagner sold the same skillet, for two different prices. 1 skillet was obviously a Wagner, and that was sold for a higher price than the "unmarked" skillet.

Matt

Back