THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

W

wizarddrummer

Hi,

What I know about smoking you can put into a thimble and have room for an air craft carrier with the extra space.

I read lots of posts in this forum about the smoking and elsewhere so i know a little bit, but the only actual experience is from a brinkman barrel smoker that i had about 15 years ago.

The other day, a friend dropped off a little chef electric smoker model lc-tqp #9800.

I think that the internal temperature gets up to 165, which is what i understand the internal temperature of a brisket when it is finished being cooked.

Is it possible to cook a brisket in a smoker with such a low temperature?

i can't find any manuals for this thing or pictures of it in operation.

It has a little pan with a plastic handle that sits on top of the electric element.

I am assuming that you put the wood chips in the pan.

I am unsure, because it is electric, do you soak the wood chips or not.

With such a low temperature, if it is possible to smoke the brisket, how many hours per pound?

About brining with salt water ... i have used a brine for cooking chicken before. I understand the scientific principle and the results for chicken and turkey are outstanding.

I read that a salt water brine is not that effective with cuts of beef such as brisket. Can anyone enlighten me on this if brining beef is a waste of time?

thanks very much.

If you cannot get the temperature up into the range of at least 200F and preferably 225F, I would not do a brisket or any other meat. It is just too low to get it out of the danger zone fast enough.

You can soak a brisket in a brine with some cure in it and get a corned beef, this will retard spoilage, but, you will be better off still with a proper smoker. The food borne pathogens in meat are not to be trifled with.

Don't waste a good brisket in a electric smoker, do it with wood, 165 is way to low, gotta be around 225 to be safe:-D

No...but you can use the Little Chief as a Smoke generator....

...and cook the brisket in the oven.

Quote from the Luhr-Jensen Little Chief Home Electric Smoker recipes and Operating instruction manual:

"Please remember that smoke flavoring is NOT a curing process. Your meats must be cooked, refrigerated or frozen immediately after the smoke flavoring."

..so if it is all you have, you can put a small brisket flat(s) in the pre-heated smoker for 2 hours and then wrap in foil and finish it off in the oven. Shorten cooking time by 10%.

Before I got into BBQ'n as an addiction, I had 3 Little Chief smokers, and smoked salmon all the time and played around with jerky, steaks and even smoked a few turkeys and chickens. I wouldn't say it was good at any point, but at the time I just didn't know chit about smoking. I used Alder, because it was the Northwest thing.

I'm down to one Little Chief and it is still my Go-To smoker for Salmon!

You can get Luhr-Jensen instruction manual wherever Little/Big Chiefs are sold or online. Don't be hatin' on the LC's!!

Back