THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

smokingkettle

Full Fledged Farker
Well, thanks to the recommendation of Smittyjonz I ordered a new Camp Chef SG90 Griddle Top for my birthday. I don't have enough room on my porch for a Blackstone (I can already feel the gaze from my wife by adding another piece of equipment for cooking) so I decided to operate a little more under the radar. I have a Weber Genesis B that I restored. I saw in the comments of the Amazon review that the SG90 fits the Genesis B like a glove. Not bad luck at all considering I found my Genesis B on the curb in my neighborhood a couple of months back.

Anyway, this is my first griddle. So here are my questions.

What's the best oil to use?

What is the best way to maintain it? etc. I want to stay away from rust. My Genesis has the nice cover and it's under my covered patio, so rain isn't going to be a factor. Not to mention that, since it is a gas grill, it also has a lid. That being said, should I pull the griddle and store it in the garage when I'm not using it? I plan to use it at least twice a week, so moving this 30 lb griddle back and forth seems like it would be a pain in the you know what.

I will come back and check on the responses. I'm off to Louie Mueller's to get some beef ribs for lunch (just thought I would rub that in). :-D

I use either canola or olive oil on my Blackstone. It is well seasoned and I keep it that way. It stays out in the weather 24/7 with only the cover that came from Blackstone on it. Some say the Blackstone cover is not waterproof but so far mine is. Never saw even one spot of rust on it after sitting for as much as two weeks and getting rained on multiple times. Bottom line is to keep it seasoned and oiled and under some sort of cover and you will be good to go.

Back