THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jr07

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
jr07
Hello all

I've got a wood burning oven at home where I make pizzas and after I'm done I like throwing a steak on the coals caveman style for "dessert". Its a cool party trick and results are always great. The oven reaches up to 1000 deg F. , and there is a significant amount of char on the both sides, but the flavor is great.

Today, I have a larger group coming and I bought a bigger steak. It's a bone in ribeye which is about 2 inches thick. I'm a little concerned that the outsides will be way too charred using the caveman technique before it gets to medium rare, so I'm seeking for advice.

I usually insert my weber thermometer in the steaks and let that indicate doneness. I usually pull steak out when internal temp is 120.

Right now, the internal temp of this baby is around 52. I just got back from the shop. I have left it outside (it's 80 deg now where I live), which I think will help increase the internal temp somewhat....

However, is it not a good idea to go caveman style with such a big piece? I also have the option to add a grill above the coals, which I have done in the past, but the trick is not the same of course....

I could also place it in a cast iron skillet and put inside on top of the coals...

Thoughts??

Reverse sear it. Start it in the oven (or smoker) low and slow and get it within about 25 deg of target temp then sear at the end.

Thank you both. How can I use my weber grill to reverse sear it without causing any actual searing? its almost like I wish I could hang it inside from a cord

Thank you both. How can I use my weber grill to reverse sear it without causing any actual searing? its almost like I wish I could hang it inside from a cord

I’d put charcoal on one side of the charcoal grate and a pan filled with water on the other end of the charcoal grate. Place the steak on the grill rack above the water pan.

Sometimes I like to put one chunk of wood on the coals too to add smoke during the reverse sear.

great thanks... if my weber is gas can I turn on one side and place the steak on a cold tray on the other side? hopefully the tray wont heat up and sear it

What internal temperature should I Look for before throwing the steak straight on the coals?

Also, I have always questioned the target temperatures of the thermometers.... it says 120Deg for medium rare, but after you take the steak out the temp continues going up and ends being like 140 before slicing...

I’d say a 2 inch steak may carry over 5 deg after resting. Putting straight onto coals is gonna be a lot of heat. I’d do indirect until 100 deg internal, sear, and then rest. Should get you fairly close. Close enough for no one to complain anyway.

At the end of the day just have fun! It is steak and it’s gonna be delicious no matter what!:grin:

I know starting it in the oven is rather heretical, but it's likely to be more precise. You could probably do it in advance, let the meat cool a bit, then wrap in foil and keep in the oven (with no temp) while you cook the pizzas. Then unwrap and toss on the coals.

I agree I'd pre-cook to IT of 100, then sear and pull off 5 deg below desired doneness.

Back