THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
I grew up on dry overcooked pork chops. like many I know this is one thing dad had wrong. USDA states a temp of 145 with a three minute rest is enough.

I am even more daring. I prefer the texture between 135-140. am I insane?

see some chefs say no

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dini...idelines-for-cooking-pork-20110524-story.html

the article, while old, includes quotes from some rather notable names

chef Andrew Zimmerman stated

"Really good heirloom pork is best served at medium/medium-rare. I’d still love to see it go down a bit more, to about 135, but it’s a huge improvement over 160.

and author Michael Ruhlman added

"It's a good thing they lowered the temperature because the 160 degrees is not only ridiculous, it is inaccurate and therefore harmful," he said. "But 145 degrees still doesn't make sense to me because it fails to include time. I cook my pork to 135 degrees because that is the point at which its flavor and texture are best."

so what do the brethren say?

oh and heres is tonight's pork chop

Best chops I've ever cooked

1.5" thick

Smoked to 130°

Sous vide 2 hrs 132°

Blistering hot quick sear

I’ve never known different. Everything was cooked well done+. Growing up juicy pork chops or juicy anything were obtained by mom using shake and bake. Parents grew up either raising or shooting catching most every meat they ate. When dad came back from his stint in the army he wanted everything fried to a crisp or burnt crispy on the grill.

I like 140-145. To me, that's the sweet spot - moist and flavorful, good texture, a little pink but not too rare. It's odd; I like beef and lamb medium rare, but I don't care for the texture of medium rare pork.

Get a sous vide machine. You can pasteurize pork as low as 130 and then add a quick sear. I prefer it in the 135-140 range depending on cut, but you are free to SAFELY experiment, plus it gives you repeatable precision once you find what you like.

My wife stills winces at the thought of pork chops, since they were so dry for her growing up.

So we'll brine, and take to the 145-150 and it's really good.

Maybe I'll try lower too :razz:

I agree 120% with your assessment! I HATE DRY MEAT!

Growing up, I am very confident that I never had anything pork, poultry, or beef (including burgers) that was juicy. My dad would overcook the pork and anything else on the grill, my mom never got me a steak any way except medium well, and oh my good golly gosh the chicken and turkey...:doh:. Have I mentioned I hate dry meat? I remember having to take a drink to swallow chicken...:eek:

I always try to cook chops and steaks to 145*. Chicken and turkey will hopefully not be over 165*. I have a tendency to undercook accidentally and have to throw food back on the grill because I dislike it that much. I watched a show, where in a small, Japanese restaurant, the chef grilled the chicken pieces (four-bite pieces probably) to only rare. I am not sure I am brave enough to chance that here in the U.S., but since it doesn't kill them, I am sure I am overreacting. Probably with good, fresh chicken, this is okay?

I agree 120% with your assessment! I HATE DRY MEAT!

Growing up, I am very confident that I never had anything pork, poultry, or beef (including burgers) that was juicy. My dad would overcook the pork and anything else on the grill, my mom never got me a steak any way except medium well, and oh my good golly gosh the chicken and turkey...:doh:. Have I mentioned I hate dry meat? I remember having to take a drink to swallow chicken...:eek:

I always try to cook chops and steaks to 145*. Chicken and turkey will hopefully not be over 165*. I have a tendency to undercook accidentally and have to throw food back on the grill because I dislike it that much. I watched a show, where in a small, Japanese restaurant, the chef grilled the chicken pieces (four-bite pieces probably) to only rare. I am not sure I am brave enough to chance that here in the U.S., but since it doesn't kill them, I am sure I am overreacting. Probably with good, fresh chicken, this is okay?

I smoked some boneless chicken breasts the other day, brined for 2 hours, smoked until 150* internal temp and panned with a rack of ribs/covered in foil to rest so probably carried over an additional 5* or so. Super tender, white all the way through, and juicy as any sous vide chicken breast I've ever done. Bacterial death is a function of heat AND time, 165* kills bacteria on contact, but slow cooking up to lower temps will do the same thing if the temp is held long enough. For example, it only takes 2.8 minutes at 150* to pasteurize chicken. I sous vide my chicken at 140-145* for 1.5-2.5 hours.

Pork chops and pork steaks I also prefer at about the 140-145* range.

Last edited:
Absolutely agree. When I was growing up, Dad only knew one way to grill, until it was like shoe leather. Didn't matter what it was, steak, pork chops, burgers... I think that's the reason I got into grilling, I figured there's gotta be better than this...:roll:

Safety is not just a temp issue. Time at a given cooking temp is as important. That is why sous vide gets away with alarmingly low temps by old FDA standards.

Back