Build a hot/fast smoker out of a gun locker?

djrobb

Found some matches.
I’m considering building a hot/fast rib cooker out of a gun vault. I like to hang my ribs directly over the coals. Typical cook temps are around 300 for me. I use a Hunsaker vortex basket with the built-in deflector. This would really be specifically for hanging ribs then finishing them wrapped on shelves.

I have a Humphrey Pint, a Backwoods Party, a Pitts & Spitts offset, a WSM and a UDS. Right now we hang our ribs in the WSM or UDS over the vortex basket. This works well but the capacity is pretty limited.

So, any thoughts on the viability of this? It’s essentially an empty tall steel box with a door. The guage isn’t heavy but it’s probably similar to a grill.

This is what I was thinking:
-Put a gasket around the door
-Add some latches
- remove the inside paint somehow?
- add some stainless steel cooling racks as shelves
- drill a hole for my guru
- add a UDS chimney
- keep the coals in the vortex basket
- reinforce the existing steel by bolting on some plain steel flat bar

I guess my biggest concerns are being able to seal the door well enough, getting the inside paint off, and whether the metal will warp. I’m not worried about the lack of insulation in this context i don’t think. I could drape it with a welding blanket if needed. Curious to hear your thoughts! Keep in mind I’m not trying to make an all purpose smoker, really a hot/fast rib hanging machine. I attached some photos of the specific locker which is $180 at Cabelas and is pretty large.

Attachments

• 0A9AAEC7-8A15-45B8-9702-06F9104B2003.jpg
    0A9AAEC7-8A15-45B8-9702-06F9104B2003.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 143
  • 70060057-4BAE-449F-B06D-5FDC6DC97FA4.jpg
    70060057-4BAE-449F-B06D-5FDC6DC97FA4.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 09ADB1B3-773A-4B1B-9A88-8B5503786765.jpg
    09ADB1B3-773A-4B1B-9A88-8B5503786765.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 6A9468CA-AA94-4EF4-BED0-CBA6246A9B59.jpg
    6A9468CA-AA94-4EF4-BED0-CBA6246A9B59.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 142
I'm sure you could make it work. Why not just hang them in your Humphrey's? I would think you could hang quite a few slabs in there.

Thanks Josh and Richard. Josh, the Humphrey is too full of pork butts at our comps to have room for ribs as well. It’s a great cooker though.

Thanks Josh and Richard. Josh, the Humphrey is too full of pork butts at our comps to have room for ribs as well. It’s a great cooker though.

That makes sense. One piece of advice I will offer is, depending on the thickness and construction of the door, you might want to add some bracing, to keep it from warping, when you heat it. I made something similar one time, out of an old stainless cooler, and the door warped on me. Some rebar welded cross ways in the door prevents it, and it is much easier to do in the beginning than after it has warped.

Warp city

Go to a metal fab shop with a press brake to press a large "C" channel and flats to seal the door against. Do the same for the floor and ceiling. Now add the flat for the door, some hinges and latches.

Overall, it seems like a lot of hassle and money for what you end up with. A better option might be an old 60/80 gallon air compressor tank conversion.

Or, take your UDS or a PBC with you to the comps. What you are asking for really seems like it was made to order for a Pit Barrel Cooker.

How many racks are you trying to do at one time? Maybe two UDS or PBC's?

Thanks for the bracing thoughts Josh and the rebar would be pretty straightforward. Good points Sid and I hadn’t thought of the air compressor conversion. You are right that the style of cooking is spot-on for the UDS/PBC and that’s the more practical choice.

My biggest worry would be the paints and resins not being food grade. You might be introducing a whole host of noxious chemicals to your food :(

My biggest worry would be the paints and resins not being food grade. You might be introducing a whole host of noxious chemicals to your food :(

If it isn't powder coat, you can burn the paint off with a weed burner. If it is powder coated, you can sand blast it. You could pick up a cheap sand blaster from HF, or depending on your location, just take it to a shop and have it done. You are probably going to have more in it, than if you had bought another cooker though.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I’m leaning towards building a second UDS and will post something about the build when I’m done.

Back