THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MAB52

is one Smokin' Farker
I have a 11.5 # Shoulder that we were going to BBQ and pull for a family dinner and it has been postponed for a week. I want to take the shoulder and try a BBB with it instead. Can I use a regular salt and brown sugar dry brine instead of TQ or would a pickling type salt work. The stores here don't carry TQ and if I'm going to do this I need to get it started tonight. Any advice?

I have a 11.5 # Shoulder that we were going to BBQ and pull for a family dinner and it has been postponed for a week. I want to take the shoulder and try a BBB with it instead. Can I use a regular salt and brown sugar dry brine instead of TQ or would a pickling type salt work. The stores here don't carry TQ and if I'm going to do this I need to get it started tonight. Any advice?

Sorry, to do a long time cure, you need some curing agents (nitrates, nitrites) in with a salt carrier.

You can sure brine or corn a shoulder with a salt/sugar solution, but that will only buy you a couple of days. Canning salts are just a fine grind version (much like table salt) of a pure salt, meaning no iodine or any kind of additives are in there.

OK, that's what I was afraid of but I thought I would try. In the freezer it goes and I will order some TQ. Thanks for helping clear that up for me.

Back