THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
The wife was craving pot roast. The problem? It's too farking hot to turn on the oven. That's when the Bubba Keg came to the rescue! Here is how I cooked a delicious gluten free pot roast today outside on the Bubba Keg.

Ingredients-
4 – 5 pound chuck roast
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Vegetable oil
4-5 cloves garlic, sliced
1 large carrot, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 onion cut into quarters
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 celery stalk cut into 1” – 2” pieces
4 carrots cut into 1” – 2” inch pieces
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 tablespoons tomato paste
8 ounces of fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 ¾ cups of low sodium chicken stock
1 ¾ cups of water
1 pound red potatoes or larger white potatoes in chunks (don’t use russets)
3TBS flour unless you are doing the gluten free version.

*** For the gluten free version only - Don’t use any flour in this dish! Use 3 TBS of cornstarch and 1/3 cup of chicken broth mixed well.

Fire up the Bubba Keg. I put in the diffuser and get the temperature up to 325 degrees F. When the temp is stable, remove the diffuser.
Put the Dutch oven (DO) over the coals and let it heat up. You need enough heat here to sear the meat. I put the DO on the grate I use to support my diffuser on as it is very close to coals.

Rub the beef down with sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Add a little oil to the pot and let it get hot. Add the meat and sear both sides until it is nicely browned.

picture.php

picture.php

Remove the meat and pour off any excess fat from the pan. Add the chopped onion, chopped carrot, sliced garlic, and chopped celery. Stir the vegetables to make sure they don’t burn. If needed, add a little oil. You want the vegetables softened but not browned.

picture.php

If you are not doing the gluten free version, once the vegetables are translucent, add the flour and stir. Cook for about 3 minutes.

When the chopped vegetables were ready, I added a little of broth to deglaze the pot.

picture.php

Add the water/broth mixture, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and herbs and stir.

picture.php

Return the meat to the DO. If the meat isn’t covered, add a little more broth. It’s normal for the meat to float, so don’t add too much broth.

picture.php

Put the lid on the DO and bring the contents to a simmer. Remove the pot and the cast iron grate from the keg. Put the diffuser back in the keg and the cast iron grate on the top supports. Put the covered DO on the grate and close the Keg’s lid. Make sure your temp is stable at 325 degrees F.

picture.php

After about 1 hour, turn the meat. If there isn’t enough liquid in the DO to cover the meat, add some more water or broth. If you are NOT doing the gluten free version, also make sure the liquid isn’t too thick. It should be the consistency of thin gravy. If it’s too thick, add a little broth.

picture.php

After about another 1 hour and 15 minutes (2 ¼ hours total), add the sliced vegetables to the DO.

picture.php

Let it cook for another 45 minutes.

For the gluten free version, this is where you whisk in ONLY ENOUGH of the retained chicken broth and cornstarch to get the consistency you desire. You may have some cornstarch mixture left over. That’s OK. Whisk only as much as is needed into the liquid making sure there are no lumps. When the gravy is thickened, go to next step.

Remove from heat and check for seasoning. Make any adjustments needed. Find the bay leaves and remove them.

picture.php

Skim the excess fat from the gravy, slice the meat, and serve.

I tell you what. My Bubba Keg has become my go to cooker for everything. I have not had to turn on the oven for anything since I got this thing. With a cast iron wok, dutch oven and CI pizza pan, I have every base covered.

Thanks, brethren!

Sizzlepig, I can't agree more.

Ronel, that's a great idea!

Big Al, you are right on track!

Back