THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you trim the sides of your brisket before or after you cook it?

• I trim before.

Votes: 81 73.0%
  • I trim after.

Votes: 30 27.0%

• Total voters
We trim before we cook but this past weekend one of the thinner edges was a bit overdone and starting to crumble so I cut about 1" of that side. Would have rather not done that but it did not hurt our scores in my oppinion.

Yep. If you have flat that has even thickness throughout than this is usually not a problem. However, almost all the briskets we use taper towards the edges and typically get overcooked. We therefore trim after, but in a way so as to make it not look as if we have done so. :wink:

I trim out packers and seperate the points and try to even out the flats. 2 Flats cook on the top rack of a 22" WSM, points on the lower. Most times the flats will get turned during the cook, but with HH cooks the Brisket edges will sometimes get covered with a strip of foil to keep from getting crispy. I'm striving for that whole smoke ring, but looking over Jimmy Brod's box, I'd give it a 10 and not hesitate to trim after.

I trim after. Like others have said, not always sure where the "winning" slice will come from. However, best for us in Brisket has been 8th.....

IMG_2354.jpg

IMG_2356.jpg

IMG_2358.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

I trim out packers and seperate the points and try to even out the flats. 2 Flats cook on the top rack of a 22" WSM, points on the lower. Most times the flats will get turned during the cook, but with HH cooks the Brisket edges will sometimes get covered with a strip of foil to keep from getting crispy. I'm striving for that whole smoke ring, but looking over Jimmy Brod's box, I'd give it a 10 and not hesitate to trim after.
Same here. Split it, trim it, cook it, send it.

It's just that simple.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Nice KCBS box but sure not an FBA box. No garnish in FBA and I know it's presented on a bed of chopped. Just want to see it. 80 and sunny again today. I may be an old fart but at least I have enough common sense to get away from another 9 inches of snow coming your way. Happy shovelling.

Read the entire thread ya old fart. :becky:

attachment.php

Back