Brisket...Try something new or tried and true?

I just took a competition class with David from Butcher's BBQ and he separates the flat and the point and aggressively trims before injecting and then smoking.

I have a catering background so it was hard to wrap my head around breaking down an entire Wagyu brisket to ultimately get eight slices and burnt ends in a competition box, but something I will definitely try at home to "do something different".

Ya, but he’s doing that for comps. Dave wouldn’t trim that crazy for an at home cook...what’s the point?

Lots of smart ass responses here, I guess that should be expected in a how to cook brisket thread. :p

I’ve watched a Myron mixon demo video on YouTube and I think I’ll follow the spirit of that to trim the flat and point but not separate.

You know what I'm going to say. :grin: New!!!!

I always do and sometimes the risks didn't pay off but MOST of the time they do. :thumb: Go for it!

Depends on your confidence level, I wouldn't hesitate to change rubs but if you do things that you've never done before it can get tricky. You could lose your rep if you hose up a brisket cook for guests. :heh:

Try somethin new but play it safe at the same time.

In other words, try some new rubs and flavours and carve up one point for burnt ends. It'll be new and different but unlikely to flop.

My dilemma....when cooking for friends or family I hold myself to a really high standard. I always get good reviews and I’m worried about messing with success. I also have self diagnosed BBQ ADD. Doing the same thing over and over gets boring and I’ve been watching competition style videos to try something new.

I have learned through experience to experiment on my own time and plate.

When serving guests, especially those who have sampled my table before and liked it, to keep it the same and please the guests.

You're not out for yourself with guests eating the product. Cook what they like and save the experiments for another time where you can test sample for yourself.

Last edited:
There is a lot of good responses in this thread. I’m glad I posted.

I’ll make a cook thread Friday night when I decide what I’m going to pull the trigger on. I’m pretty sure I’m going to inject it and trim it more aggressive. The first crowd are a bunch of friends that don’t really have discerning bbq taste.

The Xmas brisket has more riding on it. My family knows good BBQ as they frequent a lot of the big KC BBQ joints that I really like.

Be careful with that Butcher's injection, the sodium count is over 15,000mg and you could find yourself waking up at 3am with a dry-as-desert mouth.

I myself am trying something entirely new. I'm going to use onion soup mix, wine, onions and different seasoning. My BBQ Beef brisket is tasty but it's always the same thing. I'll inject low-sodium beef broth, Worcestershire and some other stuff..season with rub and then do a 5 hours in the smoker. From there, into a covered pan, add onions and return to cook until tender. I dunno, I'll figure it out and make it up. Chances are it'll come out great and then I'll never be able to reproduce the same results again.

But yeah dude, mix it up, have fun and let your ADD/OCD take you to new culinary heights! :thumb:

Back