THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Then why did you feel to argue with my post? Why can't i express how much i love Bovine bold? I clearly showed i have tried both, and i made my opinion. Why can't ypou accept that with out white knighting the other brand?

So from someone who has tried neither bovine bold or black ops I can say this from just researching the ingredient lists.

Bovine Bold ~8 bucks a lb (5 lb bag)
Black Ops 16 bucks a lb (5 lb bag)

Both have salt as the first ingredient but bovine bold has about 26% more sodium per serving which means its a bigger portion of the ingredients.

Bovine bold has Brown Sugar as the second ingredient, on black ops its 6th, most popular brisket rubs are not heavy on sugar.

The third ingredient in Bovine bold is "spices including black pepper" I don't personally like it when manufacturers do not list all of the ingredients separately, seems like they are trying to hide something.

Bovine Bold says NO MSG, which is true, but they add disodium inosinate and guanylate which is basically the same thing

Overall Bovine Bold sounds like a good choice for you, you enjoy it and you gave us your opinions, even though you did it in about the most passive aggressive way possible.

But at the end of the day, Bovine Bold is just a basic sugar rub you can make at home for cheaper I am sure. At least black ops has an ingredient list most home BBQers wont have sitting around in their pantry.

My vote is 50/50 S&P (16 mesh size) and maybe some garlic from time to time, with anything beef the best thing you can do is keep it simple.

Interesting that in all this back and forth, not once have I seen anyone stand up for a rub with coffee in it. It was all the rage a few years back. I never tried it personally but I did always wonder.

For me it's mostly sea salt and whole peppercorns that I toss into a coffee grinder and give a few spins. I've used black ops and liked it fine but prefer S&P. I've not tried Bovine Bold but I'll say their sales rep isn't doing them any favors here lol.

I like most coarse grind salts but my hands down favorite pepper is tellicherry peppercorns.

I'm a salt and pepper fan for brisket, I know pretty tame but I attribute it to not being breast fed as a baby. :becky:

Then why did you feel to argue with my post? Why can't i express how much i love Bovine bold? I clearly showed i have tried both, and i made my opinion. Why can't ypou accept that with out white knighting the other brand?

I tried both, and I like both. I've competed with both. I'll continue to use both.

Why can't you accept his opinion without arguing with someone else opinion and then call he or she a name "white knight" ...because he or she backs up the opinion that MANY people here share, which is black ops is a great rub for brisket...

I am looking at doing my first brisket in the next week or so. I have found my chicken rub. I am decided on the next pork rub I am going to try. However; I am still undecided on a beef rub (primarily for brisket). I have seen the cash cow and the bovine bold (plowboys is my go to for chicken so I figure it must be good too). Is there one of these that y'all would consider better than the other?

Bovine Bold is good, I use it along with Suckle Busters Texas Brisket Rub. The Suckle Busters is my base, then I do a layer of the Bovine Bold, then I do a light layer of Killer Hogs Steak rub for texture.

I like most coarse grind salts but my hands down favorite pepper is tellicherry peppercorns.

I'm a salt and pepper fan for brisket, I know pretty tame but I attribute it to not being breast fed as a baby. :becky:

I was breastfed by my grandmother. I'm 50 now and I still can't buy milk until it's past it's expiration date.

I used to make really complex BBQ rubs, and I also used just about everything on the market...Kosmos, Big Poppa Smokers, Hardcore Carnivore, Oakridge....all of those are good rubs and they bring a lot of flavor to a brisket.

This being said salt and freshly ground black pepper tastes better to me and it gives a great bark. I do Morton's Kosher Salt first and then a solid heavy coat of freshly ground black pepper (Malabar pepper if you can find it locally).

I was going to mention Malabar also. It’s awesome. I grind it just before application. I get it online at the spice house. I get all my spices there. Look for Facebook specials.

At home I use 2 Gringos Chupacabra Brisket Magic with a light coating of black pepper. Don't use it for competition, evidently it's "too spicy".

I'm firmly in the salt and pepper camp but from time to time I also smear some mustard over the whole brisket. It makes for an interesting and tangy bark. I wouldn't go for it all the time but if you get bored (as if it is possible to get bored with good brisket smoked right) it might be worth trying.

I never tried it but I guess fresh mustard seed ought to be good to mix in with the coarse salt and pepper as a dry rub.

I tried both, and I like both. I've competed with both. I'll continue to use both.

Why can't you accept his opinion without arguing with someone else opinion and then call he or she a name "white knight" ...because he or she backs up the opinion that MANY people here share, which is black ops is a great rub for brisket...

I wonder if it's a bit of hyperbole? I mean oakridge is known for quality. I understand not liking one of their products but to say its terrible goes far off the general consensus. it's like how I say sweet baby Ray's is the worse bbq sauce every. I dont mean it so much as its backlash from all those who love it.

I wonder if it's a bit of hyperbole? I mean oakridge is known for quality. I understand not liking one of their products but to say its terrible goes far off the general consensus. it's like how I say sweet baby Ray's is the worse bbq sauce every. I dont mean it so much as its backlash from all those who love it.

I bought into the hype of ORBO. It wasn't cheap, and it was nothing special. Maybe "taco seasoning" is a bit harsh, but it taste just like southwest seasoning to me and my family. I literally use it to make fajita's, just to use it up. But at least we both agree SBR is not very good. I wouldn't say the worst, there is far worse, but i wouldn't buy SBR's even if they had their bulk bottles on sale for a $1 each.

+1 on the Salt and Pepper. Since it's your first brisket, you will probably have enough of a challenge getting it tender without drying it out. I would not spend a lot of effort on the rub this time. If you nail it on the tenderness, everyone will love it. If its tough or dry, the flavor won't matter. Good luck and let us know how it turns out! :thumb:

Back