THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hoosier13

Knows what WELOCME spells.
I have done pulled pork, ribs, and other odds and ends but never a brisket. So I am finally going to smoke a brisket. I have formulated my game plan but have a few decisions I am not sure of yet. So far I plan on rubbing with salt/pepper/garlic powder and let sit in fridge wrapped in saran wrap for a few hours and then sit at room temp for 1 hour before putting it on my WSM at 250 degrees with 2-3 chunks of cherry wood. I plan on sitting a foil pan on the lower rack (empty to catch the drippings) and sit the brisket on the upper rack above the pan.

My question comes in the middle of smoking. I have decided to use foil but am not sure of my method. I will smoke until brisket reaches 165 and then my plan breaks down into uncertainty at this point... I am debating between:

a) putting the brisket in a fresh foil pan with some beef broth and maybe some onions and such and then foil the top of the pan closed. (Should the brisket just sit right down in the broth or should I use a rack to raise it slightly off the bottom?)

b) pulling the pan off the lower rack that has the drippings (should I add anything else into the pan?) and putting the brisket in it on the upper rack and then seal with foil (again should the brisket just sit right down in the drippings?)

c) foil the brisket without being put in a pan (maybe adding some apple juice or broth in the foil before sealing)

After this foiling step I will go until it is probe tender and then let it sit on the smoker without the foil for a bit to firm up.

As you can see the foiling step is where I struggle. I know that trying it each different way and seeing what I like best is a nice thing to do, but I want to hopefully optimize my results on this first brisket. Let me know any pros/cons of the foiling options. Thanks for any tips or comments!

Personally, I'd save the onions, peppers, etc for a chuck roast and pepper stout beef.

If I wrap, I typically just put a little bit of the drippings in the foil and wrap the brisket and put it on the rack.

Of course, another good option is to not wrap at all

Bludawg's method of hot and fast and wrapping in butcher paper after 4 hours is popular as well.

I don't wrap by temp. I go by the bark. It needs to be set before foiling or it will soften. I also wouldn't add any liquids it has plenty of its own.

Thanks for the tips so far.

pjtexas, how do you know when the bark is set? Once you foil it and it is done cooking do you do anything else to make sure the bark is still set? Thanks

I personally wouldn't rub and let sit, but a few hours prob not going to make any difference. I just did a brisket with pan below to catch drippings, unwrapped for all but one hour of 9 hour cook. It was at high heat, so wrapping may be necessary with your plan. Don't be intimidated by the brisket.... I think it's the easiest. Ribs give me more head scratching.

Thanks for the tips so far.

pjtexas, how do you know when the bark is set? Once you foil it and it is done cooking do you do anything else to make sure the bark is still set? Thanks

You can tell by feel, it should be a little hard and the color a little black. Practice will help you figure out What you prefer. After its probe tender let it vent 15 minutes to stop the cooking process and then wrap it up again. Just remember in foil it will not get any darker like in butcher paper. Let the bark get to your preference before you wrap.

If you decide to pan, try up on a rack or likely the bark will become "un-set" pretty easy.....it will get mushy sitting in the juice......

OCT9brisket2012029.jpg

OCT9brisket2012033.jpg

A lot of people will use the drippings, but filter them thru a gravy separator (cheap, plastic, grocery store baking aisle) to take the fat out 1st,.......

IMHO, the best bark comes when you don't wrap at all but total smoking time takes a lot longer. When I do wrap, it is normally after I have the bark and smoked long enough which is somewhere around 6 hours for me. Then I would normally take it out of the foil after 2 hours so basically when I wrapped it was just to give it a little shorter cooking time.

It all depends on what you want to do and how much time you have. Everybody has what they believe to be the best way and it all ends up trial and error. Just have fun and the brisket will be fine.

I've done the pull at 160, place in a foil pan, pour in a can of Dr Pepper, cover with foil and cook until it probes tender.

pjtexas1 advice is on the numbers...

Ill smoke brisket for 2/3 of the cook before I wrap in butcher paper. Never go by temps, only by look and feel.

good replies in this thread - I was looking to ask the same question.

How regularly would you add hickory chunks? in my 18.5' WSM 3 small chunks usually smoke off in about 1hr - would I add more straight away, or wait a bit?

good replies in this thread - I was looking to ask the same question.

How regularly would you add hickory chunks? in my 18.5' WSM 3 small chunks usually smoke off in about 1hr - would I add more straight away, or wait a bit?

I don't have a wsm but I would add all the wood chunks in the beginning. Opening the cooker just increases your cook time. Spread them out so there are enough to last most of the cook.

Hoosier, I would either put it in on a rack and in a pan with some of the drippings that have beed degreased or foil it with degreased drippings. Once probe tender I would open the foil and let it vent for a few minutes and then stick it in a cooler for a couple of hours to rest.

Madavon, you don't need chunks for the entire cook. That will likely overpower the meat. I usually add 4-5 fist sized chunks mixed in with the charcoal and that's plenty for a long cook.

Last edited:
Thanks Ron_L. When you say to vent it by opening the foil for a few minutes I assume you mean while it is still on the smoker correct? Does that help firm up the bark? Once vented then you seal the foil back up and put it in a cooler for a few hours.

Thanks Ron_L. When you say to vent it by opening the foil for a few minutes I assume you mean while it is still on the smoker correct? Does that help firm up the bark? Once vented then you seal the foil back up and put it in a cooler for a few hours.

I think Ron was referring to venting it after its finished cooking to prevent carry over heat from cooking the brisket while it rests in the cooler.

After the rest time is over, you can open up the foil and put it back on the cooker for about 15 mins to firm up the bark. That trick works great!

Back