THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi So what did you do with the brisket?
DanB

This weekend is when I'm cooking. I think I will cook and rest it Saturday, and right before bed I will put it into ~150 roaster oven, still wrapped in BP. I will throw some foil balls down on the bottom to keep it elevated. The next morning I will wrap in foil and towels, and put it into a cooler. I'm baking a pan of cheesy potatoes Sunday AM, and will toss that in the cooler on top of the brisket before we make our drive.

This weekend is when I'm cooking. I think I will cook and rest it Saturday, and right before bed I will put it into ~150 roaster oven, still wrapped in BP. I will throw some foil balls down on the bottom to keep it elevated. The next morning I will wrap in foil and towels, and put it into a cooler. I'm baking a pan of cheesy potatoes Sunday AM, and will toss that in the cooler on top of the brisket before we make our drive.

Sounds like a solid plan, let us know how it goes.

Overall, I think the brisket went OK. My lack of brisket experience showed a little. I ended up with a decently cooked flat I think, but the point was overcooked. That, and it was really fatty. I could not slice the point very well, which is why I say it was probably overcooked.

Hard to know if the long hold helped or hurt the meat. It was definitely a jiggly chunk of beef. Obviously no texture/bark to speak of after that long of a hold. Moisture was pretty good. I did inject with Kosmos Reserve and au jus.

Sorry, I did not take any pics of the finished product. Just one at the 7hr mark when I went to wrap. It was a 15lb brisket, probably trimmed off a couple pounds. Ended up cooking for 12 hrs. First 7 at 225, then bumped up to 275, and then 300 later on.
94c366965ce6738bdf56abc318f46a9d.jpg

That looks good, sounds like you were that close
If the point was fatty and hard to slice, I would say it was undercooked.
You can chop it and keep cooking

Back