Brisket fail

Zunah

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Chris
Hi guys would really appreciate some advice from some brisket pros after trying my first big packer brisket and not too pleased with the results... I’ll give as many details as possible so hopefully someone can point out some suggestions (thanks).

Bought a full packer brisket from Costco, about 17 lbs before trimming fat.
Watched several videos over past few weeks on trimming, smoking etc.
Have a new Louisiana Grills LG900 pellet grill. Have done some cooks with great results but have never smoked a brisket before.
Trimmed some fat similar to videos, left about 1/4 inch.
Started cooking at 10pm last night. Applied a rub. Wanted to smoke at around 225, used a dual thermoprobe to ensure temp was accurate. One for smoker and one for brisket - I don’t trust my LG900 digital readout because when I set it to 225 my probe shows temp is around 250-280 so I have found when I set it to around 200 the actual temp fluctuated between 220-245, usually in the 225-235 range so that’s where I had it.
Put the brisket fat side up. Cooked from 10pm to about 530am at which point the brisket hit approx 168 - I had the probe in the thickest section of the point. Around this time I wrapped the brisket in peach butcher paper and returned to grill. Seemed to stall right around here - took a little over an hour to get past 170 but then climbed fairly quickly. Maybe a couple hours to get from 170-190.
Grill Temp was usually between 220-240 during this time.
Once it got to around 195 I was starting to get a little worried because guests weren’t coming until 6 and it was around 9am with brisket at 195 degrees - plan was to cook until 203 then rest until dinner.
After it hit 195 it climbed very slowly, probably took 3 hours to get to 200, and another 3 hours to go from 200-203. Temp was maybe a little lower, probably 220-225 on average with occasional drops to 215 and occasional short spikes to 250.

I pulled it at 4:15 when the probe finally showed it was 203. Rested in cooler, paper was soaked and I thought it would be juicy (I thought wrong). While it rested it went down from 203 at 4:15 to about 180 at 6:00.

When I started slicing it was really crumbly and dry, moreso on the flat but even the point wasn’t great... Thick part of point was juicier but still not what I’d hoped and texture was also more like pulled pork - just flaked apart when slicing.

Not sure what I did wrong here. Overcooked? Cooked too low and too long? Thought I followed the different videos but definitely not the same results. A few weeks ago I did a small 3-4 lb trimmed flat brisket (no fat) - thought it was at 225 but didn’t know at the time how off my pellet grill was so it was probably cooking at 300-325. Finished very quickly, texture was more like steak and would have failed pull test but was juicier than this one I just did tonight.

Should I have cooked it higher and not as long? Maybe 250-275 instead of trying to keep it low around 225 (especially at the end when it was climbing so slow?)
Should I have had the probe in the flat instead of the point and taken it off when the flat hit 203 (don’t really know what temp that was at because probe was in thick point).

When I wrapped it mid way through at 168-9 it looked so good it almost looked like it was ready! Probe actually slid back in real easy - not quite like butter but pretty close. But having read what I read I wanted to keep it going until it got to 203.

Any help is appreciated since you guys have lots of experience with these cooks. Thanks!

I’m not a brisket expert, but dry and crumbling usually means overcooked and dry and tough usually means undercooked

Disregard internal temp, it should probe like buttah. Your brisket might be done at 203, but it probably wont be, and if it is it was purely luck. Falling apart = overdone, dry/tough = underdone. Hop back in the saddle and do another, you'll get it. If you were cooking at 220* it was probably done below 200* internal temp based on your crumbly comment.

I'm no expert but I think trying to combine the techniques of different videos was the first problem. Find 1 technique and try that to see if it works for you before changing anything. I cook at 250 but that is me and my smoker. Forget about cooking to 203. it's done when it's done. That may be 197. Or it may be 207. Use a probe instead of a thermometer to check for doneness. After you get a few right, you'll know what it feels like. I probe the flat to check for doneness because it takes longer to get tender (for me anyway). Did you vent the brisket before you rested it? If you don't it will keep cooking while it's resting (and overcook). I vent for about 15 minutes before resting.

As others have said, crumbly and dry indicates overcooking in a brisket. My timeline for a brisket that size at 225-240 cook temp is 11-12 hours. When you were getting nervous at 9 am, it was probably close to being ready to go in the cooler. Temp will get you close, but I always finish to probe tenderness in the flat. Every brisket is a little bit different, and every cooking method is as well. There isnt one magic temp to pull. I would start checking tenderness on a low and slow at 193 internal or so, as they will often finish at a lower temp. Hot and fast I dont poke until 203-205, and have seen them rise to 215 before they are tender.

Hmmmm...dry and crumbling does usually indicate overcooking. So if you had it on from 10pm to 4:15 the following day, that's 18 hrs of total cook time for a 17 lb brisket, even at 225 degrees that seems like a long time to me. The last bit where you say it took 6 hrs to get the brisket from 195 to 203, I can't recall that ever happening to me, usually after the stall my briskets get to 200 fairly quickly. Did you have a water pan and a spritz to keep the brisket moist? That's about the only other thing I can think of.....I use a COS stick burner, don't have any experience with a pellet system. If you had pulled it off at 170 when you wrapped it, it definitely would have been underdone. Curious to hear what others have to say...

I havent misfired on a brisket since I stopped checking the temp. Probe the thickest part of the flat. I personally think you want slight resistance, not just to go right through with no resistance. Good luck on the next one!

Overcooked.

It drives me nuts when I read the supposed magic number of 203.:icon_bugeyed That's fake news. Probe tender or probing like butter is key. Probe at the thickest part of the flat.

Fat cap towards the heat source

Pretty sure your brisket was warmed to death and you were cooking at sub 200* temps. 6 hours to go up 6* only? Something was wrong. Usually the higher the temp the faster temps climb.

Put the probe at the thickest part of the flat next time

Did you rest? When I pull I open up the wraps and let the brisket breathe for about 10 mins to stop the cooking then rest. Chances are it continued cooking after pulling since at serving time your temps were at 180.

Don't give up and give it another go at 250-275* minimum.

Overcooked.

It drives me nuts when I read the supposed magic number of 203.:icon_bugeyed That's fake news. Probe tender or probing like butter is key. Probe at the thickest part of the flat.

Fat cap towards the heat source

Pretty sure your brisket was warmed to death and you were cooking at sub 200* temps. 6 hours to go up 6* only? Something was wrong. Usually the higher the temp the faster temps climb.

Put the probe at the thickest part of the flat next time

Did you rest? When I pull I open up the wraps and let the brisket breathe for about 10 mins to stop the cooking then rest. Chances are it continued cooking after pulling since at serving time your temps were at 180.

Don't give up and give it another go at 250-275* minimum.

I don't believe in that 203F magic number either. I am a firm believer of bringing to 185F and holding it at that temp just long enough till it probes tender. Mind blowing, I know.

I don't believe in that 203F magic number either. I am a firm believer of bringing to 185F and holding it at that temp just long enough till it probes tender. Mind blowing, I know.

Yup! 185 is just about the color I like. I wrap by color and not by temp. Depending what I feel like that day.

Wrapping or not isn't an issue at those low temps. I've eaten some damn good briskets that went unwrapped at 300+. If I can remember that far back... briskets probably finished below 200 internal when I cooked them at 225. Probe to test for doneness. Temp is just a guideline, it will not tell you when it's done.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wrapping or not isn't an issue at those low temps. I've eaten some damn good briskets that went unwrapped at 300+. If I can remember that far back... briskets probably finished below 200 internal when I cooked them at 225. Probe to test for doneness. Temp is just a guideline, it will not tell you when it's done.

I think you misunderstand what i am saying. If you bring a brisket to 185F and hold it there for 8+ hours without wrapping, you will end up with jerky on the outer rim. This is fine for a thick point, but a thin flat will be like jerky.

I think you misunderstand what i am saying. If you bring a brisket to 185F and hold it there for 8+ hours without wrapping, you will end up with jerky on the outer rim. This is fine for a thick point, but a thin flat will be like jerky.

Got it. I cut the skinny end off because of this.

If you can eat it, it is NOT a failure.
Sauce forgives dryness.

I always eat my failures so nobody can find them.
Next time they see the light of day, nobody can tell.
Except corn. Corn always seems to look the same....

Over cooked. Low cooking temps s you’re going to have a lower IT but it varies brisket to brisket - cooking hot are you going to have a higher IT but it varies brisket the brisket. Being it’s on a Pooper I’d run it at the 200 setting for about 2 to 3 hours in and bump it up to the 225/250 setting.
I like cooking everything 275 to 300* myself. Instead of running all night and planning on a long rest - just toss it on about 7-8 n the morning at the lower setting for a couple hours and then bump it up. 1-2 hr Rest is Plenty. I run all mine fat cap down/ fat towards the heat source......

Last edited:
Thanks everyone this has been really helpful. I think my biggest mistake was cooking to a magic number and when it took so long to go from 195-203 I think I killed it. Next time I will follow the same process but start probing around 190 and when it’s feels like it’s done just pull it and stick in cooler.
I did let it rest for about an hour and a half. Didn’t vent it but kept the thermometer in it and it gradually dropped from 203 to 180 over that time so I don’t think it kept cooking then. Keeping it on for 6 hours or so after 195 probably dried it.
Next day I made an au jus and reheated and it was great - had some nice beef dip
sandwiches - wish I had just been ready for that the first day...
Thanks again for the suggestions and help I will definitely try again!

That brisket was still cooking, if the middle was 203, then the outside was higher than that, its called carryover which is why people suggest venting a bit before the rest to minimize carryover heat. Even at 180* it is still "cooking" just like if you were to sous vide something and hold it at 180 indefinitely. The problem with carryover heat is that if you were already borderline overcooked when you pulled it, you can go even further with it.

That brisket was still cooking, if the middle was 203, then the outside was higher than that, its called carryover which is why people suggest venting a bit before the rest to minimize carryover heat. Even at 180* it is still "cooking" just like if you were to sous vide something and hold it at 180 indefinitely. The problem with carryover heat is that if you were already borderline overcooked when you pulled it, you can go even further with it.

When i reach 180-185F i dial down the temp on the cooker. Most of the time it stays at 185F as its in this so called "stall" But that is exactly where i want it. I want it to stall for atleast 6+ hour depending on how long it took to get there. Maybe even 8-10 hours if it reached 185F quick enough.

Back