THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

kshields

A friend asked me to make brisket and chicken for a party he is hosting. Serving and sides will be handled by others. There will be 180-200 guests.

I have and FEC-120. I was thinking 10x 12-14lb. packers and 10 whole chickens.

Am I in the ball park?

You are solid in the range of the packers, my estimate is that you need 130 pounds raw to start, ending with about 1/3 pound brisket per person. In terms of the chicken, assuming 8 pieces yield per chicken, you end up with 80 pieces from 10 chickens. That seems a little light.

Landarc is correct and you should have someone regulation brisket until everyone has gotten some. I do a fundraiser every spring and we go through a lb of raw brisket per person but people paid $45 a ticket so they are trying to get their monies worth I guess. 130-150lbs raw brisket and 20-25 birds

We did a wedding a few weeks ago with the same items & numbers as you. I did 14 packers & 150 leg/thigh combinations along with sides. Some of the packers were a little smaller, as I bought in cases and didnt have control as to the sizes. After service, we had 2 full briskets & several pieces of chicken left over. Not really all that bad, my biggest fear is to run out of food. I did have to start the briskets early & cook most of the night (Lang 60) then did the chicken at the event.
One thing I did do, and was surprised by it, To save some time I chopped some of the points and was slicing the flats. The chopped was more popular than the slices. Its now something that I will do more often.

I think you're on the right track. I cooked brisket and chicken (however this was pulled/shredded) for a wedding of about 110-120, but planned on 150 servings total.

I cooked 4 16# briskets and 30# bl/sl thighs and breasts (20#thighs, 10#breasts). This equaled twelve FULL half pans total and had less than one half pan of each left over. I did pulled chicken (approved by couple) as it was only myself cooking without help and presentation of cut whole chicken is not my strong suit. Chicken was smoked until ~130* and then braised in a chicken stock/butter mix until finished, drained of most of the liquid then pulled and mixed.

Good luck.

Back