THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jsmorrow2s

Full Fledged Farker
Long story short got roped into cooking for my wife’s work thanksgiving party. No big deal, I enjoy cooking for others.

But when I do my turkey at home, it’s usually fresh and I do my own brine.

But bc of the timing of hers, I’ll have to do a store bought turkey. Is it worth while to brine it again, as usually there’s a % salinity in the store bought kind. Or should I try dry brining it overnight in the fridge?

I’ll also be cooking this the day before and slicing it with some herbed butter and vac sealing it for her to sous vide the day of

I always brine my turkeys and they're always store bought ones. I use a wet brine, but it never strikes me as too salty.

I agree with Nick. I usually buy butterball breasts that already have a solution in them. I use about 4% by weight of kosher salt to water then add some type of fresh citrus + whatever else strike's my fancy. It makes a huge difference. IMO, the butterball makes a big difference as well. We do other brands but they are never as good as butterball.

I agree with Nick. I usually buy butterball breasts that already have a solution in them. I use about 4% by weight of kosher salt to water then add some type of fresh citrus + whatever else strike's my fancy. It makes a huge difference. IMO, the butterball makes a big difference as well. We do other brands but they are never as good as butterball.

I also do use kosher salt, which I know makes it seem less "salty."

A couple of my friends say their brined birds are like licking a salt block. That's the only difference I can really think of.

I'll represent the other side I guess.
The only reason to brine an injected bird would be to add flavors into the meat. So unless your brine is loaded with herbs then it's of little value. The bird is already loaded with extra moisture.
My opinion...

SF, IMO the biggest benefit above and beyond the flavor is how tender and juicy it makes the bird. The breast literally comes close in flavor and moisture to the dark meat.

• Thanks
Reactions: scp
I suggest using dry brine (such as Harvest Brine). It works regardless of whether or not your bird is prebrined.

Simple and effective.

9153aa75caf6593067c3a2e21cd41845.jpg

If you look at the label on a frozen turkey, you will probably see a statement similar to, “Contains up to 9.5% of a solution of turkey broth, salt, sodium phosphate, sugar, flavoring.”

It's already brined.

The only reason I would brine an already injected Turkey is to introduce herbal/spice or citrus/apple flavoring.I will inject one with Cajun seasoning in a heartbeat though.Just my way.Not saying any way is right or wrong.

I usually cook anywhere from 12-30 turkeys for various family and friends. All are store bought. We always brine the night before with kosher salt and water mix, apple juice, fresh citrus and herbs. We cook them Wednesday evening and usually advise to carve it that night when picked up, then heat in a microwave with drippings the next day. 100% of people say the turkey is far more moist than what they typically make. I do think a brine works great for moisture, even on store bought turkeys.

If you look at the label on a frozen turkey, you will probably see a statement similar to, “Contains up to 9.5% of a solution of turkey broth, salt, sodium phosphate, sugar, flavoring.”

It's already brined.

Pumped full of a chemical solution is not the same as brining.
Their goal is to tenderize, the goal of a brine is to get the meat to hold onto as much of its natural juices as possible.

Two different outcomes.

Dry brining does in fact help out an “enhanced” bird

Lots of harvest brine votes. Sounds like I’ll be bringing a turkey. I guess if my saline solution has less salt than the pre brine, more salt will come out of the bird. And if it has more salt, more salt will go into the bird.

Guess I might have to pull the trigger

SF, IMO the biggest benefit above and beyond the flavor is how tender and juicy it makes the bird. The breast literally comes close in flavor and moisture to the dark meat.

And how long do you brine it? So far I am having a hard time finding unbrined TB.

Back