THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

W

woodfolks

I saw a youtube clip and the guy
said that no greens were alowed for
the pork. I think he said it was KCBS

Do all entries for comp use or allow greens

THe other thing I have noticed is that a lot of the boxes
I have seen pics of have more then 6 pices in them

Do you want it to look full so add more and 6 is the min.?

Woodfolks, good to hear from new people interested in getting into the competition ring. It's a lot of fun and one hell of a experience.

Yes, you can put in the same greens in pork turn ins as the other KCBS turn in boxes - greens are optional for KCBS in all 4 categories. You can also put in as many pieces in your box as you wish as long as each judge gets one serving - so at least 6 different pieces/portions.

Have you checked out the Roadmap yet? If not, click on the link below and you'll find a wealth of knowledge that can help ya get started.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13677

The road map is the bomb!

Thanks this gives me a lot of great info.
I ordered a WSM and cant wait to get going

The only real probelm Im having is Finding Brisket
Tried Sams and my Meat market (where I get my pigs)
Will call his supplyer on Mon. They dont usally have it.

Do you want it to look full so add more and 6 is the min.?
You want to give the judges a choice. If you put in only 6 pieces then the last judge has no choice. That's our thoughts anyway.

I see you are from Plattsburgh. I was born there....many, many, many...years ago.

Dave

Woodfolks...

Scroll down to the Google search at the bottom of the page and search for "turn-in boxes" or something similar. There are lots of threads on here where folks have posted thier boxes and we have critiqued them. This will give you a good idea about what guys are turning in and what others have to say about them. Also, a Gogle image search will also yield a lot of sample boxes.

I think I watched the same video on You Tube and I don't think he said that garnish isn't allowed for pork, I think he said that he doesn't feel that it is necessary. Check out the rules linked above and memorize them. It may save you from a DQ down the road.

Also, if you can find a CBJ class near you, go! Even if you don't want to judge it will give you a lot of insight into what happens at the judging table and what the judges are told to look for. It's inexpensive and is a good use of a Saturday.

Back