THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King

Full Fledged Farker
Tri tip is so dang good! Here's one I did with a chile paste with a little Plowboy's bovine bold.

Ingredients

• 1 Tri tip roast
  • Beef paste (recipe below)
  • Plowboys Bovine Bold rub
  • Honey garlic glaze (recipe below)

Beef paste

• 1 tbsp Beef base paste
  • 1tbsp Chile paste (recipe below)
  • ½ tsp Soy sauce
  • ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce

1. Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
  2. Refrigerate for 30 min.

Chile paste

• 12 Dried peppers (8 pasilla, 4 ancho)
  • ½ Medium onion
  • 1 Bulb garlic
  • 1 tbsp Chopped cilantro
  • 1 Vegetable bouillon cube
  • Salt & pepper

1. Roast the dried peppers, do not burn. Soak them in water until soft.
  2. Roast onion and garlic.
  3. Reserve 1 cup of water the chile’s were soaking in.
  4. Combine chile water, peppers, onion and garlic in a food processor and puree until smooth.
  5. Add cilantro, bouillon cube and S&P to chile sauce, puree again until it is salsa consistency (add more water if necessary).
  6. With a fine mesh strainer, separate the liquids from the solids.
  7. The chile paste is the solids left in the strainer, use the paste for this recipe. (The chile liquid can be used as a red sauce for anything such as burritos, enchilada, huevos rancheros, etc.)

Honey garlic glaze

• ¼ cup Honey
  • ½ cup Apple cider
  • 2 tbsp Cider vinegar
  • 1 tsp Red pepper flakes
  • ½ tsp Minced garlic
  • ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • ½ Stick unsalted butter

1. Heat all ingredients in a small sauce pan.
  2. Bring to simmer, stir occasionally.

Instructions

1. Spread the beef paste one side of the meat followed by a dusting of the rub. Turnover and repeat.
  2. Prepare the grill for a 2-zone setup.
  3. Place the roast directly on the grate, over the charcoal. Do not cover with the grill lid.
  4. Flip the tri tip once the meat begins to char.
  5. Move the meat to the cool side of the grill when the surface of the roast develops a flavorful crust.
  6. Apply honey glaze to both sides.
  7. Cook on indirect heat until internal temp reaches 125 degrees.
  8. Remove from grill, let the tri tip rest for 10 minutes at room temperature.
  9. Apply more honey glaze and serve.

Have you tried the chili paste on anything else? Chicken, Pork?

It looks amazing and sounds delicious. I might have to whip some of that up for my chix wings this weekend.

Have you tried the chili paste on anything else? Chicken, Pork?

It looks amazing and sounds delicious. I might have to whip some of that up for my chix wings this weekend.

I've mainly used the chile paste in shredded pork for tamales and taquitos, even ate it like a salsa. I thought about doing this when I've seen a few cookbooks with different kinds of paste for grilling meats...I figured to give the chile paste a try.

Man, that just looks rippin' good!!:flame:I'm really itching to try a tri tip, though not sure if they're available around here. Any of the Massachusetts brethren have success finding a tri tip locally?

I was hesitant to use the beef paste on tri tip the first time I read about it but ever since I tried it I have been hooked. Its good for that piece that has been in the freezer just a little too long. Ill have to mix in some chile paste next time.

Back