THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

btcg

Babbling Farker
So, I brought up the subject of another grill yesterday... and the north wind began to blow... a chilling blast... coming from the wife... followed by an abrupt "clean the garage first and then we can consider it..."
I HATE when she says that, It's not dirty. She's obsessive/compulsive (a typical lawyer), and because we have never taken the time to go through about a dozen boxes that remain from when we moved in here in 2003 (we built this house), she considers the garage "a mess." Never mind that I built nice storage shelves from two-by-fours and particle board, and the boxes sit neatly on these shelves. To her... it's a mess. Women... you can't live with em... you can't live without em.

But to my amazement, after a few minutes, she calms down, and asks me where I want to go look. I tell her about the Big Lots thread, and the $29.00 grill. To the novice husband... this is what's known as "seeing the light at the end of the tunnel ( a rare sight for a husband)." And this is when I know I'm getting my way... as she suddenly says "do they have other things there, like food items?" I say "yeah hon, why don't you come with me." Suddenly, I'm golden.

So, I get to Big Lots, and tell her "why don't you look around honey, and I'll meet you by the food section?" Again... to the layman hubby... this accomplishes 2 things: it makes them think that you're more concerned with their shopping experience, and, more importantly, it gets them outta your hair, so you can accomplish the real goal of this shopping trip: BBQ swag.
Now, this charcoal/wood grill/smoker is just something to play with... I have the Bradley for serious food cooks, and my Vermont Casting grill (propane, with 4 seperate burnens and rotissire) is actually all I need at this point, so I decided that it didn't make sense to spend $300.00 just so I could say I owned a Weber... when the Big Lots kettle grill was pretty much the same thing.

But the question was: was it the same as a Weber, or, at least, passable?

I decided it was, and I'll go over it's features. In addition, Big Lots had a whole isle of BBQ accessories.. and I couldn't resist.

Below, is my loot from the trip:

s1.jpg

Behold... the assembled grill, and all of my swag.

s2.jpg

Side view: swag

s3.jpg

s4.jpg

s5.jpg

s6.jpg

s7.jpg

s8.jpg

s9.jpg

I must say... $29.00 for this grill is a steal!

Construction: although the pictured grill in the other thread was red... mine is black... no matter, I prefer black. It's 22.5 inches, and the top fit snugly. The first thing I noticed was that the grill is ceramic. Is the coating as good as a Weber? Probably not (we'll see, over time)... but it's solid, nonetheless.

The legs screw into the bottom, and I must say, I was expecting legs that were only slightly better than the legs on a TV tray: WRONG! The legs are aluminum, and substantial. The screws are of a good thick gauge, and when assembled, the grill stands solidly. I have no qualms about loading this grill up with meat.

The wheels are plastic, but, I don't care. I won't be wheeling this more than a foot or two. It's got a bottom storage rack that screws on, and in fact, acts as the axle for the wheels. This really helps snug up the entire base... and an aluminum grease catcher, which is slotted so as to allow it to be easily removed for dishwasher cleaning, completes the base.

The handles, a bone of contention on Webers these days, are of a high quality ceramic, and the screws that hold them are substantial. the front handle that allows towing are "twist bolts"... so they're easy to tighten should they loosen due to heat...a very nice touch.

The bottom of the grill, as well as the top, have round, ajustable air vents, for intake and exhaust. Again, the metal's thickness is of good quality, and the bolts are substantial enough as to allow ease of use without worry about their design.

There are 2 grates... the 22 on top, and a lower grate on bottom (see images). Both fit snugly, and side brackets are not needed.

The final piece is a wall mountable hook (with screw) that allows for the grills storage on a garage of shed's wall. A nice extra you wouldn't normally expect.

Analysis: this grill is easily worth the better part of $100.00. $29.00 is a steal!

Now, the accessories were so "one of a kind" and so inexpensive, that I loaded up on them. The pans were $7.00 each: suitable for grilltop cooking, and teflon coated. The frying pan has a moveable handle, and is perforated, so as to allow grease to drain through. Probably better suited for campfire cooking, but place it over a grease catching tray, and it's quite grill-friendly. The mini-beanpot has a million uses for the BBQ'er.

The sauce bottle w/built in brush is unique: fill it with sauce, screw the top on, and you can easily paint your sauce on your meat. Dishwasher safe, so it's easy to clean. $3.50... again, a steal.

The two-handled black meat rack is solid, and allows for easy carrying of meat on or off, as well as acting as a serving rack. You can load it with meat and plop it right on the grill. When the meat is done, you've got 2 handles to lift it off with. This looks like a perfect way to grill shrimp. $7.00.

The beercan chicken holder was all of $3.00, and looks like it'll do the job nicely.

The legs & wings rack ($7.00) is another of those "may or may not be a useful item" pick... but its uniqueness, and cheap price made me grab it. A time will tell purchase.

The mop ($2.00) could be used on meat... but I'll use it to clean ashes out of the grills bottom. It hangs nicely over the front towing handle.

The charcoal and lighter speak for themselves: cheap, but for $3.00... what the heck.

All in all... value.

A Weber? Nope! But surpringly good quality... and an excellent grill to have as a back-up.

I guess it all depends on the definition of "pretty much".

How much was the grasshopper?

Also, I love those little bean pots. Perfect size for small sauce batch reheating.

I've been debating whether or not to check one of these out too. I may just go ahead and get one to try out for myself.

Oh, by the way, the Chicken wing rack is a great addition. I think it helps brown the wings to perfection if you want to sauce them.

Attachments

• P1230005.JPG
    P1230005.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 475
I guess it all depends on the definition of "pretty much".

How much was the grasshopper?

Also, I love those little bean pots. Perfect size for small sauce batch reheating.

Grasshopper was the wife's and came with her @ no extra cost... just my sanity. It's a ceramic piece that came as a set: a grasshopper and a turtle. The turtle ended up on the porch.
If you're interested in a grasshopper, I recommend the ceramic: they're easy to catch and never chirp.

That sauce pot looks like what I need for BBQ beans. What is the capacity?

My wife loves BL, may have to go with her next time.

Chuck

It's not labeled, but I ran a test for you: capacity is 1 quart. I think I'm gonna mosey on over this week and get another, and one or 2 more wing holders.

Oh... forgot to mention: they had Sweet Baby Ray's for $2.00 a bottle, and good sized bottles of spices for $1.00 a bottle. I got a bottle of Lousiana Bull Hot Sauce for 80 cents.

Good place to stock up on supplies.

Oh... forgot to mention: they had Sweet Baby Ray's for $2.00 a bottle, and good sized bottles of spices for $1.00 a bottle. I got a bottle of Lousiana Bull Hot Sauce for 80 cents.

Good place to stock up on supplies.
If you like Sweet Baby Rays, Watch Kroger Ads or Fred's or Frys' (depending on where you are). They have SBR for $1 for an 18oz bottle every now and then.

BTW, I went down this afternoon and grabbed 3 more Chicken racks 8).

Well, we needed batteries for the baby swing and I convinced the wife we should go to Big Lots for discounted batteries.

I found this grill, and my wife saw me looking at it and said, "That looks like the cheapest piece of crap, why are you interested in it"?

I said, "Well, it's only $29 bucks, so how bad can it be".

She said, "I don't see why you would want to waste your money on that considering how you're always looking for better stuff".

So she left me there to look at it. I couldn't bring myself to buy it. This thing is really worth only $29 in comparison to the Weber's in my opinion. That's not to say someone can't find it a good value somehow, I just don't see it finding a use on my back porch except as a future UDS lid and maybe a place to set my chimney when I light it.

My issues with it, and please take this with a grain of salt because as I said, maybe some people will find these a good buy, is that the metal is very thin, and probably would not hold up too heat very well and likely warp. I mean every bit of steel on this thing; body, lid, grates, the whole deal.

I also question placement of the intake valve on the bottom of this unit, it might get clogged up with ashes reducing air flow.

My last complaint about it is how shallow it is. It would not hold much charcoal, especially for offset cooking, and the coals would be a lot close to the food making it operate differently than a Weber.

Again, I'm not trying to talk people out of buying this grill. However, if you are considering buying this or a Weber, get the Weber. If you have a Weber, I don't think you would find yourself using this all that much unless you ran out of cookers and had to use it.

If you like Sweet Baby Rays, Watch Kroger Ads or Fred's or Frys' (depending on where you are). They have SBR for $1 for an 18oz bottle every now and then.

BTW, I went down this afternoon and grabbed 3 more Chicken racks 8).

Yeah, on your recommendation, I'l gonna go grab a few more chicken racks myself.

Well, we needed batteries for the baby swing and I convinced the wife we should go to Big Lots for discounted batteries.

I found this grill, and my wife saw me looking at it and said, "That looks like the cheapest piece of crap, why are you interested in it"?

I said, "Well, it's only $29 bucks, so how bad can it be".

She said, "I don't see why you would want to waste your money on that considering how you're always looking for better stuff".

So she left me there to look at it. I couldn't bring myself to buy it. This thing is really worth only $29 in comparison to the Weber's in my opinion. That's not to say someone can't find it a good value somehow, I just don't see it finding a use on my back porch except as a future UDS lid and maybe a place to set my chimney when I light it.

My issues with it, and please take this with a grain of salt because as I said, maybe some people will find these a good buy, is that the metal is very thin, and probably would not hold up too heat very well and likely warp. I mean every bit of steel on this thing; body, lid, grates, the whole deal.

I also question placement of the intake valve on the bottom of this unit, it might get clogged up with ashes reducing air flow.

My last complaint about it is how shallow it is. It would not hold much charcoal, especially for offset cooking, and the coals would be a lot close to the food making it operate differently than a Weber.

Again, I'm not trying to talk people out of buying this grill. However, if you are considering buying this or a Weber, get the Weber. If you have a Weber, I don't think you would find yourself using this all that much unless you ran out of cookers and had to use it.

We look at things differently: it's the batteries I would never buy from Big Lots.

Me, I'm glad I bought it. It's a deal for $29.00.

Agreed...I only bought the grill for a grate and lid for my UDS'. Did you look at the $47 version next to it. I actually thought about this one in place of an actual weber, seemed a bit more sturdy than the $29 version I bought for the UDS lid and grate. Just curious if you looked at that one for half the price of a Weber. I know WalMart has the Uniflame for about the same price, i would probably go that route for an actual grill that could possibly compare to the Weber (2 for 1).

Back