THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yep, I've got a Kamado Joe Classic and will soon have a Kamado Joe Big Joe, so we are talking same sizes here. The Classic works great for grilling and a lot of smoking jobs, but there are a few cooks that the Big Joe will do so much easier and not cramming the meat in the cooker.

As usual, get the biggest cooker your budget allows. Many people wish they had got a bigger cooker, very few wish they had got a smaller cooker.

I couldnt agree more. I wish I had gotten the Big Joe instead of the Classic. There isnt such a thing as too big.

XL, sir. I went through the same thought process and it was my lovely ladywife that said I should go ahead and get the XL. You won't regret it.

I have a large I would be happy to sell you. Looking to move up to an XL. Small is for sale as well. I am keeping the adjustable rig for my bubba keg though, you cant have that.

My wife insisted I get the XL, claiming that if she was going to have to look at some big green thing on her patio, then it at least needed to be useful for when we entertained. Being cheap, I kinda thought the large would be enough, but figured I had better get what she wanted or I'd be sorry. She was right, and I've never regretted it.

For us, the XL was a great choice, but we entertain. We regularly have groups of 10 - 20 over, and a couple times a year we have parties approaching 80-90. I cook for all of them on the XL with ease.

It does use more charcoal, but I built a lump ring out of expanded metal, that greatly reduces lump burn, making it more practical for the usual family dinner meal. Also, makes sure I have hot and cooler areas on the grill.

If there were 2 of us, and we never entertained, I'd probably get a large. If you entertain at all, personally, I'd go XL.

The xl is good all around- low and slows doesn't burn much more lump than large (will burn a little more on hot and fast). The extra real estate is worth it

Everyone speaks of adjustable racks etc.
for adjustable fire utilize a stainless steel spaghetti strainer from bed bath and beyond. I use the 7.5 quart but they come smaller as well. Just set it on the coal grate. Works in offset, and 24" and larger grills as well.

For a different cross section of replies, try posting this question
on a great BGE forum:
www.greeneggers.com

Also, a shameless plug for a great site (not mine) for ceramic grill
accessories:

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/

I have routinely done 21" packers on my Large.

I apologize if I have violated any rules!

100% agree on the ceramic grill store. That guy makes unbelievable eggcessories and runs a top notch business. Big Green egg should hire him or at least relabel his eggcessories.

I've had the large for around six months or so. Great cooker. Awesome.

That being said, get the XL. I wish I had.

Of course there is always the XXL and EGGZILL as well. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156132

This thread got me researching the XL more - and I noted that the the XL is now on it's third design. Appears that they lowered the fire ring 1" between 1 & 2 (giving more vertical room above the grill), and then added an extra 2" more height to the dome between 2 & 3. This is somewhat relevant, as old posts are comparing a different XL to the Large than new ones. The 3" of extra clearence in the doom opened the XL up to more flexibility and eggcessories.

Back