Bierocks

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Anyone stuffing smoked meats in their Bierocks? This is almost traditional. Almost. Seasoned ground beef, onions, pepper, garlic, salt, cabbage etc. Rhodes yeast rolls floured and rolled out about size of corn tortillas. German meat fold overs. I think any smoked meat would be a fun bierocks knockoff.

Last edited:
In the 80's and 90's a lot of our oil patch business was in North Dakota and Eastern Montana. The small town bakeries sold Runzas, so in the morning.... farmers and workers could get a donut, a thermos of coffee and some Runzas for lunch. They were mostly beef and onion, but sometimes used farm sausage with cabbage.

Because our pickups had a carburetor, many had a little basket that fit on the the air cleaner bolt with a wing nut and sat next to the manifold. Any food wrapped in foil could go in the basket and be reheated for lunch.

But the best thing (before all the 'rules changed') was grilling a hot lunch, or cooking dinner in the parking lot of a motel in the evening.

ZV2kUrG.jpg

Where I live they're called both. Which is interesting. My part of the world can be quite adamant on food names. I do like the variety you mentioned. Good memories. Basically a culinary top shelf something in a blanket. Years ago we made up chicken cordon blue bierocks/runzas. We ate till we were sick. Hot Pockets:))

Same with "kolaches" identification and klobaskiny- klobasnek???

Last edited:
Looks great, I had to look up what Rhodes yeast rolls were. I've made similar with hot water crust dough. Some pics just trigger memories and make your mouth water.

They aren't grade school cafeteria lady good, but are still good

I made the "hand pies" because of The Great British Bake Off. Something goofy about that show, I've made more stuff from there than from any BBQ show I've watched. For BBQ, this is the place I've learned and tried the most.

Well damn..
I don't have the rolls. In spirit of this and after eating hickory smoked chicken fer the last three days.... stromboli, close as I can get today.
Stromboli on the Santa Maria, no less!

-D

I've got a freezer bag of Runza filling in the freezer I just ran across the other day. Might have to cook 'em up soon.

Back