THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WareZdaBeef

is Blowin Smoke!
Giant had a sale on chuck roasts for $2.99/lb and had a 9lb roast i just had to buy. I am wondering if i can treat this like a brisket and slice against the grain? its about 6-8 inches thick. I imagine this would take some seriopus time to cook via low and slow, but would appreciate all opinions before i start prepping this beast.

I'm guessing you bought a shoulder clod, nice score!

I like to do them as pepper stout beef, or Italian beef.

I'm guessing you bought a shoulder clod, nice score!

I like to do them as pepper stout beef, or Italian beef.

Ive done italian beef too much already. I literally have a few pounds of it already paper thinly sliced and some thicker sliced in my freezer vacuum sealed. I need something different!

I was thinking due to the thickness i could build a crazy bark without drying this beast out. I just want some opinions and ideas before i ruin this retail priced $50 cut (sale $27)

Last edited:
I would make pepper stout beef out of it, put it on a kaiser roll with a slice of provo or Swiss

on the chuckies I get the grain Runs 9 kinds of ways so slicing is Difficult.....I chop it or shred it and pick out the Large Fat but Yes I cook it like a Brisket.........

on the chuckies I get the grain Runs 9 kinds of ways so slicing is Difficult.....I chop it or shred it and pick out the Large Fat but Yes I cook it like a Brisket.........

Thats what im used to. When i saw this thing, i instantly thought sliced against the grain like a prime rib but cooked low and slow like a brisket. I am just not sure how to do it since ive never had access to a chuck this thick.

Let me snap a pic of it so anyone who give a crap to post will know what im working with.
brb in a few min.
thanks for watching

Its almost 6 inches thick. Thought it was thicker.
2529aa1c2d76e34b674979f218361541.jpg

c4edc7dbd45177076910c6601dba41b2.jpg

So im thinking cut it either right down the middle or cut it length wise to ge the most bark to be sliced against the grain.

Not trying to be rude, but i am not shredding, ive done that for years and its not something i enjoy. I reserve shredded chuck for PC shredded beef taco's and don't like my taco's smoked.

Ive done italian beef too much already. I literally have a few pounds of it already paper thinly sliced and some thicker sliced in my freezer vacuum sealed. I need something different!

I was thinking due to the thickness i could build a crazy bark without drying this beast out. I just want some opinions and ideas before i ruin this retail priced $50 cut (sale $27)

I like this guy's pulled beef approach: https://dizzypigbbq.com/recipe/clays-pulled-beef/

Has never failed to please!

Oops, hadn't read your message about not wanting to shred yet.

I like to take 5, 6 pounders for a ride through the smoke (230°) for about 5 hours. Then wrap it with a can of tomatoes and chillies for the acid and flavor. Cook another 3-5 Or until I hit about 190°.
I try to cut against the grain but due to the high fat content it doesn't seem to matter when you miss.
It's like a much more forgiving Brisket.
Good luck.

Salt, pepper and coffee grounds, low n slow till tender (190)

Never cut put pulled ... eat plain, on rolls, tacos, with AuJus... really however the better half thinks...
Always good

Post after pics

Back