THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

food4thot

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Erik, E
Know the subject has been brought up many times. Have always used lard to season my CI but never got a truly stick-free surface. Starting to wonder if I've been doing it wrong all these years.

Science of Cast Iron Skillet Cooking

Chemistry of Seasoning Cast Iron Cooking

When oils or fats are heated in a pan, multiple degradation reactions occur, including: autoxidation, thermal oxidation, polymerization, cyclization and fission.

The development of a seasoned cast iron pan is actually a two part process: polymerization and carbonization. The first part involves developing a thin layer of polymerized oil on the cast iron.This is done by applying a very thin coat of unsaturated oil (e.g., canola, flaxseed or grapeseed oil) to the cast iron surface and heating it in an oven until it dries. Unsaturated fats work better since they have less hydrogen's and therefore have less non-carbon components. Once the polymerization process is complete the layer of oil cannot be easily removed. To complete the seasoning, which involves laying down of a carbon matrix on to the cast iron surface, heat must be applied slightly above above the smoke point of the oil. If you do not heat above the smoke point only the polymerized oil coat will be present instead of having an added rich black carbon matrix.

How to Season a Cast Iron Pan

Unsaturated fats work best (unsaturated means that some of the carbons in the fatty acid chains contain reactive double bonds). Nineteenth century American cooks typically used lard because it was readily available and unsaturated enough to polymerize well, but almost any oil will work.( Note: Lard from the 19th century was more saturated than today because the feed was more natural). When an unsaturated fat is heated to high temperatures, especially in the presence of a good catalyst like iron, it is broken down and oxidized, after which it polymerizes –joins into larger mega molecules the same way plastics do – and mixes with bits of carbon and other impurities. This tough, impermeable surface adheres to the pores and crevices in the cast iron as it is forming. The surface is nonstick because it is hydrophobic – it hates water. A well seasoned cast iron pan will have a slick and glassy coating that is best achieved by baking on multiple "very" thin coats of oil.

I use lard, my grandma and great grandmother used lard, and probably those before them. I don't think your choice of fat is the problem. If you season your pans in the oven upside down, it will keep the fat from pooling, at getting that sticky residue, unless you use vegetable oil, and I don't like it at all. Olive oil works pretty good. Whatever oil you use, make sure you are heating it past the smoke point. For lard that is 375.

The best way to season CI is to use it on a regular basis, cooking fatty foods, like bacon. After cleaning, wipe with oil, and bake again. Over time you will get that coating, they are talking about.

I use lard, my grandma and great grandmother used lard, and probably those before them. I don't think your choice of fat is the problem. If you season your pans in the oven upside down, it will keep the fat from pooling, at getting that sticky residue, unless you use vegetable oil, and I don't like it at all. Olive oil works pretty good. Whatever oil you use, make sure you are heating it past the smoke point. For lard that is 375.

The best way to season CI is to use it on a regular basis, cooking fatty foods, like bacon. After cleaning, wipe with oil, and bake again. Over time you will get that coating, they are talking about.
Starting to think the temp has been my issue. Have always set the oven at 350°.

Thanks for your post!

Whatever oil you use, make sure you are heating it past the smoke point. For lard that is 375.

^^^ This^^^^
You must “burn” the oil to season properly
Once it starts smoking, you are starting to season.

I oil, heat past smoke point and reseason at least 6 times to build up a thick non-stick surface on virgin iron

My last couple skillets.

Cook bacon.
Remove bacon
Eat bacon and wipe bacon grease all over skillet
Allow to cool
Place in fridge without removing grease

Next morning heat skillet and pour off grease
Wipe hot skillet exterior with grease
Cook bacon
Remove and eat bacon
Allow to cool somewhat
Place in fridge with leftover grease

Go Bludawg on your skillets-Use and season
Do this every day for a week
Every week for a month
Every month for a year.

Most of my users are vintage Griswold and Wagner. I asked my 86 year old Mother how they seasoned CI skillets. Her answer-“use them”. Crisco and bacon grease were oil of choice

I didn’t see what type skillet you’re using. If it’s preseasoned this may not be necessary.

Check out the "Pan Man" for some top notch cleaning and seasoning advice for cast iron. Some of my griddles are just turning 90 or 100. Some have pitting from use on wood burning stoves. Here is a CLIP from an older thread.

My last couple skillets.

Cook bacon.
Remove bacon
Eat bacon and wipe bacon grease all over skillet
Allow to cool
Place in fridge without removing grease

Next morning heat skillet and pour off grease
Wipe hot skillet exterior with grease
Cook bacon
Remove and eat bacon
Allow to cool somewhat
Place in fridge with leftover grease

Go Bludawg on your skillets-Use and season
Do this every day for a week
Every week for a month
Every month for a year.

Most of my users are vintage Griswold and Wagner. I asked my 86 year old Mother how they seasoned CI skillets. Her answer-“use them”. Crisco and bacon grease were oil of choice

I didn’t see what type skillet you’re using. If it’s preseasoned this may not be necessary.
All my skillets are Lodge and were not pre-seasoned when purchased. With the temp thing brought-to-light I'm going to clean all of the cooking surfaces and oven re-season, then go to the bacon regimen.

I’ve acquired some pretty neat cast iron pieces. The thing is I expect all of them to work. The discussion of best oil best method is almost like best cooker best charcoal. I’ve used just about every oil every method. Growing up our Wagner #8 stayed on the stove top. It was put away about the same time carpet began to cover wood floors. Here’s an interesting banter link

https://www.chowhound.com/post/cast-iron-seasoning-bacon-554297

I tried the flaxseed method..very a lot of work...and meh.

Tried lard...and bingo. On top of that...cook a nice batch of skillet cornbread...and you will be amazed at the skillet afterwards..plus you get so yum yums. There are several recipes..all seem to work.

bear grease is what the locals say to use. I have 2 that were originally seasoned with bear grease, not sure if they have been redone in the past 80-100 years.

I have put my meat grease (or lard or oil type if you prefer) all over my CI and put in the oven and crank it up to 500 degrees and just let it cook. I have had friends who said they will throw theirs into a fire and just let it burn for a while.

I have had good luck with flaxseed oil for the initial seasoning. It has a smoke point of 250F and produces a hard coating. After that I just recoat with olive oil. I use my propane grill and make sure the pan is smoking for about 30 minutes, then turn off and let cool. I do this 3 times and it produces a hard coating. I think process is the most important thing.

I found grape seed oil worked best for me. Keep in mind that you are creating a polymer layer that needs to both bond well with the cast iron and be durable enough to withstand cooking on. Grape seed oil seems to have the best balance between saturated and unsaturated bonds, creating a durable coating that is unlikely to flake off.

I agree with 16Adams. Use them as much as you can. Leave some grease sitting in them overnite if you are having problems. I have started pouring a little bit of corn oil in the skillet right after I wash and dry it. I use a paper towel to spread a thin layer around, then I grab a wad of towels to wipe it out. You never get all the oil back out, but it doesn't get sticky afterwards either.

Back