Best Offset (Direct or Reverse) other than Shirley (2 years is too long of a wait)

That's a very interesting opinion ya just threw out there...and know I'm not being sarcastic.

I'm assuming ya have experience with both "direct flow" and "reverse flow"? Please expand if ya could! It's these types of opinions and discussion that really bring out the experience and the "been there, done that" of the forum!

For example...
I'm getting ready to throw a deposit down on a traditional smoker, something around 72" long. I'm not interested in even grate temps hence..."direct flow".

With that said, ya seem to have some thoughts on the designs of such and I doubt I would be the only one who would like to hear yers and others.

-D

I don't have experience with a reverse flow, but curious to try one. I have a 24x60 Evie Maes reverse flow trailer on order. I should have it in the next month or so. So I will see what I think then.

I also cooked on a 500 gallon Austin Smoke Works traditional flow a couple weeks ago. It was sickening how evenly and perfect it cooked and the draw was crazy. I had never seen anything like it. It was howling. Even with the door open it ripped. Perfect even color on the meats and perfect even cooking. I got home and look at my Klose and think "What a poorly designed, no drafting POS". Austin Smoke Works does not do 250 gallon smokers so I put a deposit down on a 250 gallon Moberg which is the same design as Austin Smoke Works.

Any backyard offset I buy in the future will be top flow with side exhaust (new LSG, Jambo, Outlaw) just side exhaust (Franklin? Old LSG), or reverse flow with center exhaust (Evie Maes). The old school traditional flow with top exhaust no longer makes sense to me. I asked David Klose in person "why the funky top/backside exhaust location?". I dont remember the answer, but it was some weird answer that made no sense. I don't think even he knows. I have seen people online ask Rich Robbins (Gator Pit) the same thing. His response was something like "a properly designed pit does not need a center/side exhaust". I don't agree anymore and find it strange he does not want to evolve his designs while his competition does.

These are just my opinions.

Last edited:
I don't have experience with a reverse flow, but curious to try one. I have a 24x60 Evie Maes reverse flow trailer on order. I should have it in the next month or so. So I will see what I think then.

I also cooked on a 500 gallon Austin Smoke Works traditional flow a couple weeks ago. It was sickening how evenly and perfect it cooked and the draw was crazy. I had never seen anything like it. It was howling. Even with the door open it ripped. Perfect even color on the meats and perfect even cooking. I got home and look at my Klose and think "What a poorly designed, no drafting POS". Austin Smoke Works does not do 250 gallon smokers so I put a deposit down on a 250 gallon Moberg which is the same design as Austin Smoke Works.

Any backyard offset I buy in the future will be top flow with side exhaust (new LSG, Jambo, Outlaw) just side exhaust (Franklin?), or reverse flow with center exhaust (Evie Maes). The old school traditional flow with top exhaust no longer makes sense to me. I asked David Klose in person "why the funky top/backside exhaust location?". I dont remember the answer, but it was some weird answer that made no sense. I don't think even he knows. I have seen people online ask Rich Robbins (Gator Pit) the same thing. His response was something like "a properly designed pit does not need a center/side exhaust". I don't agree anymore and find it strange he does not want to evolve his designs while his competition does.

100% agree. I will not buy a top exhaust offset for those same reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any backyard offset I buy in the future will be top flow with side exhaust (new LSG, Jambo, Outlaw) just side exhaust (Franklin? Old LSG), or reverse flow with center exhaust (Evie Maes). The old school traditional flow with top exhaust no longer makes sense to me. I asked David Klose in person "why the funky top/backside exhaust location?". I dont remember the answer, but it was some weird answer that made no sense. I don't think even he knows. I have seen people online ask Rich Robbins (Gator Pit) the same thing. His response was something like "a properly designed pit does not need a center/side exhaust". I don't agree anymore and find it strange he does not want to evolve his designs while his competition does.

Where'd you cook on the Lewis smoker at? I wish they would do a smaller one.

Where'd you cook on the Lewis smoker at? I wish they would do a smaller one.

I did a class with Dylan Taylor in his backyard.

zx0dj.png

Thanks for all the replies!

Looks like hes leaning towards a Lone Star 24 x 48:
https://lonestargrillz.com/collections/smokers/products/24-x-48-offset-smoker?variant=8146192367720

Now 1 door or 2 doors? I have never had a 2 door only a single. Do the racks get "confining" trying to put every thing on 2' squares? I move stuff around all over my Yoder 1500.

If you are dead set on the LSG get a single doo. I had that same size smoker with a double door and I always said if I ever got another one it would be the single door. I can definitely attest to the tuning plates adding radiant heat and cooking things faster. I went with reverse flow this time and couldn't be happier.

Like one of the earlier posts said, if you're looking for a patio model check out the Shirley's at the St. Louis BBQ store. I always cooked on my LSG with the door cracked open. To me the draft on it compared to my new Shirley isn't even close.

I also considered Moberg because I knew I wanted a trailer, but I think his current lead time is around 19 months.

https://lonestargrillz.com/collections/smokers/products/24-x-48-offset-smoker?variant=8146192367720

Now 1 door or 2 doors? I have never had a 2 door only a single. Do the racks get "confining" trying to put every thing on 2' squares? I move stuff around all over my Yoder 1500.

I like single door and insulated firebox. I wouldn’t want that grill top firebox.

I like single door and insulated firebox. I wouldn’t want that grill top firebox.

Id skip that grill top also. Never used mine once and now it's just a source of rust, leaks and squeaks. A cheap 22" inch Kettle is better.

Id skip that grill top also. Never used mine once and now it's just a source of rust, leaks and squeaks. A cheap 22" inch Kettle is better.

I like to have specialty tools. Smoke in my Stumps, grill on my PK or Kettle.

The more I look at LSG the more I feel lucky to have made Moberg’s list. LSG are beautiful but really expensive compared to Moberg, although Sunny is about to raise prices.

I have the 24x48 with 2 doors. I really enjoy cooking on it but every now and then wish I had the single door with counterbalance. It would just give me a little more room to move things around if needed, or cook a small hog racer style.:razz:
If I were buying the smoker today I would order the single door or the cabinet style... leaning more toward the cabinet.

I love my Klose. I'm in Culver City - if you wanna come look at it, by all means hit me up. In fact - we're having a SoCal Brethren Bash on Saturday August 4 We'll be saying goodbye to our good friend Bigmista who's gonna be moving to Oregon. You and whoever you wanna bring are welcome to come! We'll be at it all day and going 'till we're done.

Last edited:
Anyone have any experience with a primitive pit? The design looks very franklinish. I'm curious about the quality of them

I love my Klose. I'm in Culver City - if you wanna come look at it, by all means hit me up. In fact - we're having a SoCal Brethren Bash on Saturday August 4 We'll be saying goodbye to our good friend Bigmista who's gonna be moving to Oregon. You and whoever you wanna bring are welcome to come! We'll be at it all day and going 'till we're done.

I'd love to come and meet some local smokers! When and where? What should I bring?

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Anyone have any experience with a primitive pit? The design looks very franklinish. I'm curious about the quality of them

I see them spamming on my Craigslist everywhere and their operation seem like another shady builder in the deep backwoods of Georgia. They claim to have to have been in business since 2009, but have no customers, no feedback, nothing. Just some photoshopped pics and tshirts. Even Donnie Boston can come up with some pictures of actual builds.

No way I would give them $1.

Any backyard offset I buy in the future will be top flow with side exhaust (new LSG, Jambo, Outlaw) just side exhaust (Franklin? Old LSG), or reverse flow with center exhaust (Evie Maes). The old school traditional flow with top exhaust no longer makes sense to me.

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "top" flow? Is that the same as traditional flow? How is the new LSG different from the old LSG with regards to flow?

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "top" flow? Is that the same as traditional flow? How is the new LSG different from the old LSG with regards to flow?

Firebox to cook chamber Hole sits higher and/or baffle deflecting heat n smoke up then low exhaust on other end......

Back