THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sean "Puffy" Coals

is one Smokin' Farker
So, after some recon, I found a butcher pretty close by that has whole packers (i think) for just $2.78/lb!!! That's amazing considering the "Big Chain" stores around here want $5/lb +. I actually used to go to this place all the time before I got into smoking for steaks and lunch meats, etc. I forgot about them until just recently when I was calling around to find a better deal on brisket.

So, I picked a couple up for a rainy day (my next day off). They were both around 12lbs, point attached with a decent fat cap, but not too much fat.

I fired up the drum with Blue K and half a choke cherry wood split, as I always do. I seperated the point from the flat for easier handling/more even cooking/more rub & smoke penetration. The drum settled in right around 260*. I put the flat on the bottom grate, point on the top.

I seasoned the point with just some coarse sea salt and black pepper. I gave the flat a healthy coating of my Dynamite Brisket Rub and put them on the cooker at about 11:00.

The point was done around 5:00, but the flat didn't finish until around 6:45. I went by probe feel for doneness, so I don't recall the exact internal temps. Both were right around 200* I think.

Here's the flat:

10-19-2012Brisket01.jpg

10-19-2012Brisket02.jpg

And the point:

10-19-2012Brisket03.jpg

All in all, it came out very good. Although, next time I will go lighter on the rub and leave the point on longer as it was a little chewy.

Thanks for looking!

Back