THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BGEChicago

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Name or Nickame
none
Hi Guys,

A few months ago I posted a question to the Brethren, I wanted to know if Berkshire pork was worth the extra money, overwhelmingly you told me it is worth it only if I think so... Fair enough, I'm always up for a cook challenge :grin:

So a few months ago D'artagnan had a sale on Berkshire spare ribs, I picked up 3 slabs for $60.00 rather than the normal price of $98.00. https://www.dartagnan.com/berkshire-pork-st.-louis-ribs/product/ZPORBER036.html

Yesterday I picked up my "go to" brand Smithfield for the comparison.

So in all these pictures the Smithfield ribs are the wider and longer rib. Here they are pre-rub:

picture.php

picture.php

On the BGE they go, I smoked with apple and peach for 4 hours at 270 degrees:
picture.php

Both were finished and pulled at the same time, to be clear, the Berkshire are on the right and Smithfield on the left.
picture.php

picture.php

Finally plated:

picture.php

Here are my final thoughts.... Let's talk price per slab.

Berkshire (on sale): $20.00
Smithfield (at Walmart): $10.87

I tried to keep this test as fair as possible. While both ribs were good and I'd have no problem serving to company, I can't justify paying double for Berkshire. We go a lot of ribs, I'm guessing 45 slabs a year so for that reason I don't think I'll be buying any more.

That being said, I do however think there is a huge quality difference in choice vs. prime beef and I will gladly pay the difference, and as long as I ranting here :blah: I will gladly pay for air cooled chicken.

My next Berkshire test will be Berkshire pork chops vs. butcher pork chops... stay tuned.

Thanks for looking!
Greg

Seems like a fair comparison and your conclusion sounds fair. Cost is a huge factor, as well as the Smithfield being so easily and readily available. The ribs look great, BTW.

I probably wouldn’t want to pay $20 a slab (on sale) for them either, though I do think they are good. I can get Berkshire spares for $3.99/lb, but because they’re usually smaller than commodity spares, I’m usually only paying $12-14 for a slab and that seems reasonable to me. I don’t cook them often but they’re a nice treat when I’m near that market.

I am thinking berkshire ribs arent worth the price...already plenty of fat on ribs. I had the same results on berkshire on berkshire pulled pork butt.

But on chops ..now we are talking...worth it!!

I don't think it's supposed to be about the fat content.

It's that Berkshire are a heritage breed, from before the days of "The other white meat" advertising BS. They're supposed to be a darker, richer meat.

If I see them local I'll try it but I won't pay online prices.

I don't think it's supposed to be about the fat content.

It's that Berkshire are a heritage breed, from before the days of "The other white meat" advertising BS. They're supposed to be a darker, richer meat.

If I see them local I'll try it but I won't pay online prices.

Yeah I didn't want to purchase online but I really wanted to compare and see what all they hype was about. In the end, it was just that, hype.

I will buy certain cuts from SRF though, I haven't found a better tasting ham or cowboy ribeye anywhere else.

Thanks
Greg

Bought a Tamworth hog recently. I can tell a difference in the pork chops. They are so much tastier. My nephew cooked up a ham & a rack of ribs. Both he and my brother Bubba commented on how much better they tasted. Bubba is considering buying a whole hog.

So far, I've only cooked chops, ham steaks and pork steaks. Gonna take a pork belly out of the freezer this weekend and make some bacon. After all, Tamworths are the bacon hogs...

At the restaurant I deal almost exclusively with smithfield for our commodity pork for day to day service. I also use berkshire, but that's reserved for private events or higher end dinners. There is certainly a difference, no doubt about that. But the price point doesn't make it realistic for day-to-day BBQ. I mean, I could charge $30 for a rack of ribs over the $14 I'm charging now, but then nobody would be able to afford to eat here :shock:

That being said, I have about $600 worth of berkshire pork belly in my cooler right now. But it's for a special event later this month and I'll be making a few types of traditional bacon, lap yuk, bao buns, etc.

Certainly worth it in the right applications.

I cook Berkshire and Duroc free range pork for two reasons,
1) Free Range is healthier and better for the animal regardless of breed.
2) Berkshire and Duroc have a higher pH which does not seem to cause inflammation in my wife's joints as most store bought commodity pork does.

There are other heritage breeds that may have higher pH than commodity pork however I do not have access to them so cannot comment on them.

I probably wouldn’t want to pay $20 a slab (on sale) for them either, though I do think they are good. I can get Berkshire spares for $3.99/lb, but because they’re usually smaller than commodity spares, I’m usually only paying $12-14 for a slab and that seems reasonable to me. I don’t cook them often but they’re a nice treat when I’m near that market.

Where is this market? I'd love to try Berkshire ribs and for that price, I wouldn't hesitate to buy some.

For anyone that lives in Iowa the place D'artagnan gets their pork from is in Ankeny and has a retail store to buy Berkshire pork from.

betterpork.com

From my experience, I think there is a bigger difference from lower end commodity pork vs. a good Smithfield ET than between a Smithfield ET over a heritage breed. I've cooked them side by side as well and couldn't tell much difference.

Back