Commodity butt vs Heritage/Berkshire/Duroc?

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hello folks,

I've got a question. Has anyone compared commodity pork butts (i.e. common grocery store pork) to the more expensive heritage breeds, e.g. Berkshire, Duroc, Red, etc.?

I know it's crazy, but I've only ever smoked the more expensive butts. I can tell you out of the package, they're much more marbled and a darker red color, almost looks like beef.

In my mind, I assume it's got to have a richer flavor and moister texture. But that's only an assumption in my mind. Now that I live in SoCal (not by my choosing) where absolutely everything is more expensive, I need to watch my spending carefully.

Can anyone here please share there comparison between the quality of the end product of smoked commodity and heritage type pork butt?

Thank in advance!
JD

For sure the heritage breeds are more more marbled and have more flavor. But for me , the additional cost is not worth it for shoulder you plan to cook to pulling temps. I have also found the yield for heritage pork is 20-30% lower than commodity due to a thick fat cap that doesn't end up being served.

For shoulder I prefer to go with the highest quality commodity breed I can get. If I'm going to be doing other cuts and cooking to lower temps heritage might be worth it

For sure the heritage breeds are more more marbled and have more flavor. But for me , the additional cost is not worth it for shoulder you plan to cook to pulling temps. I have also found the yield for heritage pork is 20-30% lower than commodity due to a thick fat cap that doesn't end up being served.

For shoulder I prefer to go with the highest quality commodity breed I can get. If I'm going to be doing other cuts and cooking to lower temps heritage might be worth it

Thanks for your reply.
Making pork “the other white meat” was a mistake in my opinion.
When you say “the highest quality commodity breed”, what do you mean? Is there a brand that you recommend? I’ve been thinking of that grocery store pork is all the same, that there isn’t a grading system for pork like there is for beef.

I can see your point about questioning the value of paying that much more for a cut that’s going to be injected, rubbed, SLOOOW cooked and sauced. That being said, where is landed in the past (when I didn’t live where everything is more expensive) if I’m spending that much time & effort on preparing a cut, why not start w/ a high quality cut?

I may rethink that.

Best regards,
JD

I've tried Duroc butts and they were better but not by a huge margin. It's hard to justify the much higher price for pulled pork.

Now Duroc spare ribs were hands down worth it to me over commodity but they have gotten really hard to find.

I've tried Duroc butts and they were better but not by a huge margin. It's hard to justify the much higher price for pulled pork.

Now Duroc spare ribs were hands down worth it to me over commodity but they have gotten really hard to find.

Thanks for your reply.
I just visited the grocery near where I live now. Compared store brand w/ Smithfield. Smithfield was noticeably darker and more marbled. $2.99 a lb, vs 7.99 for heritage butt, plus $46 for overnight shipping.
No brainer. I wonder what breed Smithfield uses?
JD

No way commodity is better than heritage but there are some commodity brands that are really good. Look for Praire Fresh or Salmon Creek pork products which are a grade or two better and priced at commodity prices. I know Sprouts, Smart and Final, Jons etc supermarkets have them time to time. Trouble is they're not commonly available as they come in small batches. At least in my experience. I'm in L.A. County btw and not sure where in SoCal you are located in.

Cool!
I’m waiting at pharmacy for them to fill a prescription and walking around to get sone air. There’s a Sprouts about 300 yards from where I am now. I run overtake & look.
Thanks!
JD

Cool!
I’m waiting at pharmacy for them to fill a prescription and walking around to get sone air. There’s a Sprouts about 300 yards from where I am now. I run overtake & look.
Thanks!
JD

Ask the meat counter or butcher for Praire Fresh. You can even special order them. I've done it before by specifically asking them order for me but it's been quite some time and before covid when there was actually service so YMMV.

Ask the meat counter or butcher for Praire Fresh. You can even special order them. I've done it before by specifically asking them order for me but it's been quite some time and before covid when there was actually service so YMMV.

Sprouts had their brand butts. $2.99 a pound, sane as Avon’s.
I asked butcher about Prairie Farms. He said they randomly get those sometimes. He also made a big point about them being no different from their store brand. He said it’s just a different farm and processing plant. He said they’re both free range and all natural. They were more marbled than Von’s store brand & similar to Smithfield. On the other hand, the Smithfield were a lot more red, much darker in color. The Sprouts butt was sane light color as Avon’s store brand.

I’m going to look into Smithfield pork.

Thanks
JD

Much better flavor, more tender. Definitely better. Like prime beef vs low choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am smoking two Berkshire Shoulders this weekend - generally just pick up the commodity - but cooking for a bunch of my old college buddies so figured i would splurge a little

Quick question - should I inject them or just throw some rub on them and into the smoker

I haven't put much effort into this - Walmart carries Prairie Fresh and it has always come out great. Can get a well marbled butt for under $3 a pound.

JD, I think you have a wildfork foods near you, they may have Berkshire butts.

I think Duroc has a neat earthy flavor that the other white meat doesn't. That being said I enjoy cooking Boston Butt in the 5-7# range. Our regional United has Boston Butt 0.99#
Just picked up two around 6# each. Didn't even look for Duroc this trip

I generally buy whole pork shoulders from a restaurant supply house. But on occasion I've picked up a picnic roast or shoulder blade roast from a grocery store. Then I generally look for smaller ones because the bigger ones seem to be fattier and flabbier. I'd take two 3# roasts over one 6# any day.

I've not done it with pork, but I have purchased premium quality beef brisket and smoked that. My opinion, like others expressed above, was that the extra money isn't worth it. Pay twice as much and get a 10% improvement in quality, something like that.

seattlepitboss

Back