THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DanB

is One Chatty Farker
HI All I found a 2 pack of Superior Angus beef plate ribs at Restaurant Depot.
Came out kinda greasy,there was a big layer of fat right on top of the bone.
The ribs were cooked at average temps of 275*. They did probe tender like butter, and were falling apart
Should that big layer of fat render out? Maybe more cook time?
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Mine had the same. They weren't greasy to eat through.

I did like the short plates better then these chuck ribs but for double the price I will buy the chucks. They do taste really good.

I may cook longer next time even when I think they are done. Did they look like this?

Last edited:
Delete Pics

Hi I'm sure you can delete your pics.
Go to your post click edit,Go Advanced, then manage attachments, find the pics then click delete. That should do it.
Dan

Another Beef Plate Rib

Hi All I have another rack of beef plate ribs to smoke.How can I get them to come out lest greasy then 1st ones..Would a longer slower cook/225* do the trick..Or is that he normal for for these type of ribs.
Thanks Dan

Might be your not cooking them long enough? When I do plate ribs they dang near fall off the bone. I wait until it probe like butter between "all" the ribs.

Cook Temps

how long did you cook them for Dan ? I usually cook mine at 250 to 275 degrees and takes 7 hours .

They cooked for 6 hrs with temps between 300-250 mostly around 275*, with hickory n mulberry
They did probe tender and were falling off the bone. They were just OK, a little too greasy for my wife. The Shirley held temps real good.

I didn't like that layer of fat sitting right on top of the bone.Maybe the next rack will come out better..I'm think of going low n slow, and see if the fat renders out much better..

maybe you just got a rack that fat was a little thick that was next to the bone and maybe needed more rendering the fat out , it would be hard to see in the packaging . I like short ribs almost better than brisket :tape: but can only afford them every once in awhile and do not give up because they are so dang good . :wink:

The ribs didn't look fatty at all before smoking, looked they they had nice marbling to them. That is why I got them, went thru about 20 packs and these 2 racks were the winners.. Hope the the other half comes out much better. Still have left over bone in the fridge from the cook.
Thinking bout heating it up and try slicing it.
Thanks DanB

Beef ribs are fatty. If that's what you mean by greasy, you might just need to find another cut to smoke. My wife doesn't like them. I eat hers and I cook her a tenderloin when I cook them.

Beef ribs are fatty. If that's what you mean by greasy, you might just need to find another cut to smoke. My wife doesn't like them. I eat hers and I cook her a tenderloin when I cook them.

Yeah My wife took one bite and that was it..Got one rib left over gonna heat and slice it .
Next time maybe low n slow might render more the fat?
They were tasty.
Thanks Dan

Low and slow, yes. Of course, short ribs (if that's what you have) are ideal stew meat for all kinds of dishes. It's the flavor (and the fat).

Low N Slow?? Hot N Fast

OK I'm going try my luck with another rack beef plate ribs tomorrow..
Last rack was greasy..Don't know "IF" I will be better off going Low N Slow or Hot N Fast..These will be going into the oven, forecast here for tomorrow is 12"-18" of the white stuff. I'll be stuck in doors all day.

So which will way be better way to render the most fat out of the plate ribs?

Thanks DanB

Beef Ribs

Hi All The beef ribs when into the oven at 9am 250 temp. Rubbed with Montreal seasoning and World Series Of Barbecue Beef rub/Lucky Dawgs BBQ.
Thinking maybe 8 hrs at that temp?
Going to start probing at 200*, then give then a good rest, and hope for the best!!!
DanB

PS Would wrapping them render more of fat out?

Last edited:
Back