THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titch

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Titch :-)
I have what I think is called Beef Clod? we call it a full Chuck.
Comes in at 21lb, and I hope to turn it into the Equivalent of this Lamb Gyros.

my reason was this post by Limp Brisket.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243016

Challenge is on to see if it comes out great.

lamb shoulder is a tough cut so I am trying the Chuck as its substitute.
Spit roasting is very common here but I cannot remember anyone doing Chuck.

This Clod/chuck was 10. kilo. approx 21lb.
I am using about half for this.

I cut the Chuck with the grain thinking that once skewered and shaved for service it would be against the Grain.

marinade of red wine,Lemon juice , Garlic ,Soy,olive oil,pepper ,salt flakes and whatever was on hand.
oh yeh.
Honey and Worcestershire.
marinade for 24 hours or so.

IMG_8918%20Medium_zpsc4ydq38s.jpg

IMG_8924%20Medium_zpsfyzljcik.jpg

IMG_8928%20Medium_zpsufez3kpi.jpg

The marinade looks like dirty creek water but tastes pretty good.

IMG_8923%20Medium_zpsna02zbps.jpg

be back tomorrow

Chuck and clod are 2 different cuts here....I've done a bunch of chucks but not a clod. This is the last chuck I did...somewhere around 25# if I remember correctly. Clods are the same size or even bigger....

Last edited:
Looking good Titch. I've yet to try a clod.. or a full chuck for that matter...

as to your question, here is what "the internet" says -

Technically, beef shoulder clod is the upper portion of the chuck primal and sits atop the brisket and the shank. It can weigh from 13 to 21 pounds, and in butcher-speak, is known as 114 NAMP. (That’s code for North American Meat Producers.) Rarely will you see a whole clod displayed at a meat counter. Most often, it’s broken down into blade or flat iron steaks (114D), chuck arm roasts (114E), stew meat, ground chuck, and a particularly delectable 12- to 16-ounce cylinder of meat known as a “mock tender” (114F) because of its resemblance to beef tenderloin. Often, it’s a special order, so give your local butcher a heads-up if you want to try this spectacular cut of meat. (Whole Foods asks for a week’s notice.)

I wish I'd quit reading these threads . . .

Seriously though, I'm really starting to get fascinated by this whole gyro meat thing.

Back