THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I agree that in the Carolinas you will find mostly Pecan and Oak. This is what I have the easiest time purchasing for my backyard cooking.

But many of the restaurants in my area (Upstate) prefer Hickory to just about anything. Unfortunately, not a whole lot of Hickory to be found which makes supply slim and prices high.

Texas
North and northeast- Hickory, Pecan, Oak (several varieties)
Southeast- Pecan, Oak (live, water, red and several others)
Central- Post Oak. Live oak, Pecan, Mesquite (also peach)
West- depends where, trees an be scarce but Mesquite and post oak
There are other mixed in but this would represent the majority

I would agree with this. Texas is not a BBQ Region. Texas is so large it has it's own regions within the state. What we cook with in East Texas, the folks in the RGV wouldn't care much for. I think most people have been drinking the "Franklin's Kool Aid" and think that Central Texas Q is how all Texans do it.

I live in the "burbs" west of St. Louis. The variety of smoking woods here is outstanding. We got;
  • oak (red and white)
  • hickory (numerous varities)
  • Pecan
  • almost every fruit aned berry tree except citrus

My all around favorite is hickory. However, pressure treated landscaping timbers offer a unique flavor profile.

Back