BBQ Pork Tenderloin?

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
My BF accidentally bought a case of pork tenderloin instead of pork loin (which we normally get). We cut it up and fried it like little itty bitty mini steaks, and WOW it's so much more tender than pork loin -- I guess the name is fitting! This was the first time I've ever tried it. It was at a decent price as well, at $2.79/lb. (Pork Butt is currently $1.38 / lb, and with inflation and an empty chest freezer, we went with 2 cases of it. There is still room in the chest freezer for twice as much as we just put in there.. amazing how much stores. We'll be buying a case of pork loin as well soon.)

Buying up cases of the pork since beef sirloin steak almost doubled in price from like $5.49/lb to $9.99/lb at ALDI. This inflation is horrific, but for some reason pork is currently untouched.. needless to say we'll be eating much more pork instead of beef. However ground beef is still reasonable in price at $3/lb.

Anyways, I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned before, but do people ever BBQ pork tenderloin? If so, how should I cook it? I wonder what they'd be like cured and smoked to 140F internal. As sort of a super tender canadian bacon or whatever.

Tell me, why is pork loin only $2 per pound , while beef sirloin steak is $10 per pound. Does it cost a cow 5 times as much to feed with free subsizided grains?

^^^ Yep! ^^^

Although I will occasionally add some smoke til about 110, then a quick grill for some crust and to finish it up. Do that with beef steak every now & then as well.

Same as above…IF I smoke it, I brine it and bacon wrap it to keep some fat around it during the cook.

Tell me, why is pork loin only $2 per pound , while beef sirloin steak is $10 per pound. Does it cost a cow 5 times as much to feed with free subsizided grains?

I don’t know where you are getting the info about free subsidized grains from, but there is nothing free about farming. It costs huge amounts of money to farm and yes, quite a bit more costly to raise market cattle than market swine.

Some differences:
1. Gestation is three times as long for cattle.
2. Cows generally have one calf, while swine have a litter.
3. Size, cattle are bigger and eat more.
4. Swine are almost always kept in confined space, where cattle often need room to graze. Yes some cattle are kept confined in feed lots, but these are still considerably larger than swine barns.
5. Growing/finishing to market is considerably longer for cattle.

So yes, probably close to 5 times as costly for that steer to raise to market then the pig.

As for pork tenderloin, it’s definitely one of my favorites. I generally smoke mine until 125 or so, then finish off on a hot grill to 140. Add some chutney like onions, peaches and cranberry with some spice. Then side with some mushy tators and some green beans, and you have a meal that is hard to beat,

If you cook a Pork Tenderloin much past 145 IT......it borders on inedible, at least to me, as "Tenderloin". I usually take it out at about 130-135ish and let the temp rise as it rests.

It's all good!

I usually marinate pork tenderloins and grill hot and fast to medium rare. Really enjoy these marinated in a mix of soy sauce, garlic, fresh ginger, onion, fresh lime juice and zest, cilantro plus a sweetener (I'm pre-diabetic so I use allulose, but honey works great if you're not counting carbs!). Let them soak overnight, then grill. YUM!

Bruce

I just sprinkle with rub
Smoke at 250*
In about an hour and a half should be close to 145* = time to pull
Let rest for about 10 min and slice
I have never tried to stop short and sear and don't like wrapping in bacon as it doesn't get the smoke enough. Family enjoys it this way. One of these days I will try the sear.

Back