THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cuts and burns, including the stepping on hot coals from the chimney...now that I use the weed burner I don't have that problem. :thumb:

Knock on wood, nothing but the occasional minor burn or scratch.

scratch.png

At a contest at about 3 am a buddy volunteered to go get the pork off the smoker. I warned him to be careful since there would be hot liquid in the pan. The dumba$$ managed to pour it all down his leg and onto his foot. He quickly learned why I wear boots and not flip flops at contests.

Not quite Q-ing, but a friend of mine was cutting habaneros in half in order to dehydrate them. It had never occurred to him to wear gloves. He had to go answer the call of nature part way through......... He couldn't decide whether to go to the emergency room or simply cut it off.

That is funny! Been there done that, but not with Hab's. Just Jap's, but trust me, that was bad enough..:laugh:

At a contest at about 3 am a buddy volunteered to go get the pork off the smoker. I warned him to be careful since there would be hot liquid in the pan. The dumba$$ managed to pour it all down his leg and onto his foot. He quickly learned why I wear boots and not flip flops at contests.

Ugh, similar thing happened to me (but I had shoes on). Cooked up some brined chickens with an aluminum pan underneath to collect drippings for some gravy. Had my brothers pick up a chicken each with tongs, grabbed the pan with some heat resistant gloves. Told them to put it in the pan. The moment they did I had an epiphany... not all aluminum pans are the same. The ones the family had were so much more flimsy than the ones I always use and the pan twisted on me, with hot drippings running down my arms and legs. Burned like hell, but didn't drop the chickens!

I was carrying a chimney of hot coals over to the egg when my wife said shouldn't you have shoes on? Nah I'll be fine, well 5 minutes later when I went to check the temp I stepped on that grey chunk of hot lump and it stuck to the bottom of my bare foot. I burned my fingers pulling it off.

The other one was cooking a deer filet, brought it in and decided to see what a char on my gas stove would do for it. Stabbed a piece on a fork and put it over the burner then put it in my mouth. The fork was blazing hot and burned both of my lips bad. Some liquor may have been involved in that stunt!

2 mild injuries both occurring around the same circumstances that could have been worse.

1st year I participated in the Relay for Life a friend of mine brought a small propane grill for us to use during our cookout. Had trouble lighting the grill so I had the bright idea of turing on the tank for a little then try to light it. That equaled fireball in the face and singed my arm hair and eye brows off. Luckly no other injuries.

Next year we decided to use charcoal to be safer. Got pre soaked charcoal, drenched it more in lighter fluid then lit it with a match up close. Again, fireball in face.

3rd year we packed cold cuts

I did manage to dump a pan full of hot bacon grease on my foot when moving the pan from the oven to stovetop once. I was wearing shoes, no socks, and the grease piled up just at the top of the ankle/arch causing a rather nasty burn (coincidentally in the shape of a piece of bacon). I should have had it checked out then, but didn't.

But that's not the end of the story.

The burn happened on a Saturday. By Sunday we were on the beach in NC and I went in the water (drunk and naked, btw -- it was late at night) thinking, "Oh, saltwater, that'll be good for it. Or at least it won't make things any worse". By Monday morning the burn had blossomed into a softball-sized thing and I had to go to the ED/ER barefoot because I couldn't wedge a flip-flop on.

"Oh, never go into the ocean with a burn," doctor says. "That place is like a toxic stew out there..."

#1. Ole Baldy here, bent over to pick up dropped tongs and forehead hit firebox, an uninsulated firebox. Two weeks later I was still explaining scab on my head...

#2. I was doing a cook after the ice storm we had first of last year, tripped over a bag of charcoal with my hands full of wood and hyper-extended my left knee. 6 weeks of lovely PT. My knee aches every time I fire up a smoker...

This is not an injury, and I know it's not a common issue around here, but anybody with long hair should tie it back before bending down into a UDS when cleaning it, no matter how careful or steady you think you are. Don't ask me how I know this. :tsk:

Sorry, I thought we were both joking.
What passed through my mind was that it used to be that one room for emergencies was all that was needed.
Once, I saw a coal that had rolled past the fire brick. Didn't quite grab it, but did get singed before reality set in.

My poor dog Jester (85 lb pit) has suffered from my worst mishap. He walked up as I was transferring a foil wrapped brisket from my Weber to my work table. The foil tore as I lifted it off the grill and hot brisket drippings poured across his back. He has a ~12" scar across his back from this incident. He keeps his distance from the pits now when I'm working around them.

Back