THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did you cook one whole? (Sans Guts of course)

The crabs are whole (guts and all).......

I left one of the humpies whole and froze it. I'll probably filet him and cook on a cedar plank for one of the first tailgate parties.

Who knows - maybe I'll be sporty and pull out the fly rod and go trouting later on today.

I was wondering that myself, but TDs are open to interpretation - if someone did cook the "whole" fish, just not as a single but the assembled parts of, then I would think the voters would have the decision if it wasn't clearly specified in the rules...

However, the below from the Intro post:

"I think you get the idea here...the entry must feature a fish cooked whole:becky:"

Does seem to make it fairly clear.

Just thought I would add my .02 about Whole Fish

I was wondering that myself, but TDs are open to interpretation - if someone did cook the "whole" fish, just not as a single but the assembled parts of, then I would think the voters would have the decision if it wasn't clearly specified in the rules...

However, the below from the Intro post:

"I think you get the idea here...the entry must feature a fish cooked whole:becky:"

Does seem to make it fairly clear.

I don't think that a crab is a fish either.

Red Snapper with Planko Crust

My entry.

I've been thinking about how to do a whole fish and thought I might wing it. No not flying fish!

I caught this beautiful Red Snapper on tuesday in Pompano FL, just off Copens Road, at RD. It was calling to me. Gym, Gym, I'm perfect for a throwdown. :clap2::clap2:

Amazingly, Big Red lost his guts on the way here form Panama/Costa Rica.

Big-Red.jpg

I removed the scales and then scored on both sides and put fresh garlic slices in the grooves. Groovy man! :cool:

Scored.jpg

Then I dusted it with Heidi's Angler rub.

Basiks.jpg

And on to the Performer, Whole! I squeezed a little lemon juice over it too. Also stuffed the inside with garlic and lemons.

On-the-Grill.jpg

Cooked it at about 400 and moved on to making the crust.

Bread.jpg

Took some Olive oil in a pan, added rosemary and chopped garlic. If you didn't notice, I like garlic. Decided not to use the honey as it didn't need a glaze. Heat that up at medium, then add the Planko and cook for about 5 minutes. Just until crunchy. :thumb:

While all this was going on, I was smoking six butts for a charity dinner tomorrow night.

Butts.jpg

Big Red was done in about 45 and I took him off at about 135.

Cooked.jpg

Removed the skin and added the Planko. Please use this photo.

Finished.jpg

The girls were going crazy, :crazy::crazy::crazy: They didn't know if they wanted Fish or Butt. At that time they didn't get any. It's terrible when you can't have any butt. :tape::tape:

This is what was left.

Bait.jpg

I would like to add that this is my own recipe, It just came out of my twisted head as I started to do this.

Big Red was soft and flakey, And the Planko gave it a wonderful crunch! The rosemary gave it a different taste and aroma. First time I have used it and do recommend it.

Hope you all enjoyed this as much as I did eating it.

The fish looks good, panko works for anything. Back in cooking school we used it for coating for deep fried veggies and worked really good for deep fried pickles.

Jim,
I like that ya caught your entry! Puts ya up a few notches for me in the voting perhaps.
So did you just lay the panko on top of the fish after it was almost done? Kind of missed how ya did that part.

Back