THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

halloumi cheese - greek grilling cheese!

halloumi cheese is a staple in Cyprus and it combines the texture of mozzarella and the brine moisture of a feta. it squeaks when you chew it!

halloumilambchops-008.jpg

halloumilambchops-010.jpg

halloumilambchops-013.jpg

that's pure sheep's milk cheese from the 'Shepherds of Cyprus'

Last edited:
Ok here's mine. I call them Easy Won Ton Omelette Wraps. I emptied out the fridge and found what I could. Took some won ton wraps and blind baked them (in the oven) then dopped a bit of Alouette garlic and herb cheese in the bottom. Made a mixture of eggs, bacon bits, shrooms and some mozzarella cheese and put that in the wrap and threw them out on the kettle at 350 for about 15 minutes to firm the egg mix then set them on a little marinara sauce. They were actually really good for quick fridge food. Made a great late night snack for me.
Picture700.jpg

Picture701.jpg

maple smoked brie boats

i tossed these on while smoking a couple chickens

brieboats-010.jpg

brieboats-014.jpg

I made a batch of cheese straws, naturally using some of my smoked cheddar..... The only seasonings were salt and cayenne. Plenty of cayenne :icon_devil. These cooked in the Egg on a pizza stone with a dome temperature of 400+ for about 12 minutes.

DSC06751JPGa.jpg

DSC06753JPGa.jpg

DSC06759JPGa.jpg

say thirdeye, I just have to know, do you always have a green egg going 24/7?, you know just incase something sounds good?

I love everything you done so far,,,

how did you do the cheese sticks?

say thirdeye, I just have to know, do you always have a green egg going 24/7?, you know just incase something sounds good?

I love everything you done so far,,,

how did you do the cheese sticks?

Heheee, not 24/7 but I cook on it a lot. This was such a quick cook I just knocked the ash off the old charcoal and re-lit it and let everything preheat while I made the dough.

The recipe is pretty simple, getting it to go from crumbly to dough is the key. Sometimes the butter to flour ratio is right and presto, it just happens, other times the egg yolk is needed. I had a second batch about the same size to give you a guess to the number of sticks it will make. There is a lot of butter in there, but you're just eating a few. :rolleyes: They are good snacks or can be made larger diameter like bread sticks to have with dinner.

1 stick of butter (some of this will be used to grease the parchment)
3-1/2 ounces of flour sifted (just shy of 1 cup)
5 ounces of cheddar cheese, grated fine
3 pinches of salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 or 2 pinches black pepper
1 egg yolk (you may only need some of this, or maybe not at all if the dough comes together with just the butter)

Get cooker or oven to 400°, I use a plate setter or pizza stone with parchment paper.

Grate the cheese into a bowl, sift in the flour, add salt & peppers. Cut the butter into little pieces and work in to the mixture with your hands. It will be kind of crumbly at this point. Stir in the egg yolk and it will come together as a dough. Form into a ball. Depending on whether you want square or round ones you can either 1. roll the dough out on a flour dusted work surface leaving the slab about 1/4" thick, then slice the dough into strips....OR....2. pinch off a small amount and roll it between your hands, then even it out on a dusted work surface. (you can also twist the strips if you are very careful)

Set the straws on buttered parchment, then slip the whole sheet of paper onto your preheated pizza stone. Cook until golden and slightly crisp, around 10 minutes. Let them set up before moving off the parchment.

Last edited:
This is my 3 Cheese stuffed Portabella with Sausage. It has Cream Cheese, Cheddar Cheese, and Pepper Jack and bacon sprinkles. It is accompanied by bacon wrapped asparagus and a Sirloin Tip Steak W/ Horseradish and Blue cheese. This was an excellent ending to a great weekend. Everything done a 22.5 Kettle God Bless!

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg
Man those mushrooms look great!!! Its been awhile since I grilled some..

Back