THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

attachment.php

There was a part of me that was thinking about entering this throwdown until I saw this.

It's a shame there's no cash prize 'cause this on deserves it.

this is my entry

Wow... Not sure if I can compete with PYGBOYZ... but I'll throw my hat in the ring.

I did a cookout last weekend for my family. I did some peach bbq baked beans with a little olympic twist...
c817b3bf.jpg

i also did some nice spares...comp style with a good sweet heat taste. turned out perfect and I figured I'd play on ur patriotic hearts with my entry.

IMG_2163.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

The pic above is my official entry! :mrgreen: thanks

Good Looking Bones

Wow... Not sure if I can compete with PYGBOYZ... but I'll throw my hat in the ring.

I did a cookout last weekend for my family. I did some peach bbq baked beans with a little olympic twist...
c817b3bf.jpg

i also did some nice spares...comp style with a good sweet heat taste. turned out perfect and I figured I'd play on ur patriotic hearts with my entry.

IMG_2163.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

The pic above is my official entry! :mrgreen: thanks

Great Looking Bones, I bet they tasted great!!!:razz:

Please accept this as my official entry in the Summer Olympics Throwdown

This is some tough competition but here goes. Sliced up many vegetables including onions, peppers, carrots, bamboo shoots, pears, mushrooms. and zuccinni. Completed with some nice flat iron steaks and some Korean Terriaki marinade.
DSCN0468.jpg

Placed steaks in freezer for about 30 minutes and sliced thinly.
DSCN0471.jpg

Steak strips marinated, stuck, and ready for the grill.
DSCN0473.jpg

Korean beef steak strips on the grill.
DSCN0474.jpg

Veggie skillet shot.
DSCN0477.jpg

Plated.
DSCN0482.jpg

Please use this as my entry photo.
DSCN0483.jpg

Korean stir fry. Thanks for looking.

Not a TD entry.

I bought the ingredients for my "Jamaica" Olympic 2012 cook with great expectations and nostalgia. My father emigrated to Canada from Maroon Town, Jamaica, in the 1950s. I was hoping to do a wood fire cook like Grandma and make a special dinner in both Dad's and Grandma's memory. Grandma was well-known as a very good open fire breadfruit roaster. It was tough finding the time to do all that on an open fire so mid-week I thought if I used the kamado instead of a fire I'd be able to pull it off. Had a flaccid start on Wednesday but there were enough initial ingredients to try again. Got partially ready Thursday but that took too long -- actually, taking photos ate up a lot of time. Armed with some prep photos already in the can I tried again Friday but still couldn't get finished. Had to leave the house at 6:30 p.m. so decided to try finishing the cook with the kamado's residual heat. The curry chicken was half cooked when I popped the raw breadfruit whole into Dragona, closed up the vents and left. Got home at 1 am -- much later than I expected to. I discovered the residual heat in a closed up kamado is way too much for a pan of curry chicken pieces and is not enough to roast a whole breadfruit. The chicken is edible enough but the gravy burned to a crisp --luckily the volume of gravy insulated the meat from the pan. I was going to post it as a cook thread anyway, just not as an entry, but just saw the photos now, not many good pictures either. A disaster in many ways but I learned two things: the residual heat of a kamado can be too much or not enough to finish a cook depending on what's inside and if I can't be present for the cook, don't cook. I do still love the idea of doing this again in the future over an open fire when I have the whole day for it. Here's a few pics.....

SIMG0015.jpg

SIMG0024_1.jpg

Below is the pre-soaked, pre-cooked Congo peas (pidgeon peas) ready to go into rice and peas.

SIMG0032_1.jpg

Lots of onions on the bottom to melt down into gravy, wasn't sure how it would turn out on a smoker because it needs continuous stirring/folding over to be able to do that. This is what I put into the kamado, closed the vents and left for my group meeting.

SIMG0045.jpg

This is how it looked when I got home. The onions did not melt into a gravy and luckily kept the chicken off the pan so they burned much worse than the chicken thighs. Everything below the chicken is solidly stuck and charred to the pan. I think an extremely large amount of water could have helped but I didn't imagine that at the time.

SIMG0047.jpg

Breadfruit not even close to cooked half way.

SIMG0048.jpg

The second time's a charm! Thanks for watching.

Back