THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flank Steak Pinwheels on a Big Stick

I have been looking for an excuse to try this recipe for awhile and boy am I glad that I did.

I took a 2+ pound flank steak, butterflied it (which is cook speak for cutting it in half the hard way), and tenderized it (which is cook speak for whacking it with a hammer).

DSC_0295-1.jpg

I mixed up a stuffing of hard italian salami, fontina cheese, provelone cheese, bread crumbs, parsley, garlic, green onions and olive oil.

DSC_0297-2.jpg

I spread the stuffing out over the flank steak and pressed it down into the meat to make as tight a fit as I could.

DSC_0299-1.jpg

The flank steak was rolled and twined, seasoned on the outside with kosher salt and black pepper, wrapped up in kitchen wrap and foil and put in the fridge overnight.

DSC_0300-1.jpg

I took the roll out of the fridge today, cut it about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" thick and put it on a stick to help hold it together.

DSC_0304-1.jpg

DSC_0306-2.jpg

Stick, schmick.....that's not a stick. This is a stick!!!

DSC_0305-1.jpg

On the Rotisserie it went.

DSC_0322.jpg

Served for Sunday supper with some green beans and chopped pineapple.

DSC_0340.jpg

I only cooked about a third of the steak roll. I froze several sections for later this week. I'll report back on how the thawed and grilled version turns out.

Enjoy your week everybody.

Back