BBQ Brethren Masters Cut #6 - CHUCK ROAST!!! (ends Sunday night 8/21 at midnight US Central)

OK I'm first one in!

A Chuck Roast sounded good for me to get back into the game. Plus the fact that Sharon had just purchased a real nice 2 Pounder. This one was labeled Chuck Roast Mock Tenderloin. I have cooked this cut before and it was real tasty.

Being a Chuck I know that they can be very tough if you are not careful. Everyone says to braise and cook slow for a very long time. What do “they” know?

To start I injected with an au jus base I found in RD. Then I gave it a good rub with Steve’s Outlaw, and then let her sit while I got the fire going.

Start.jpg

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Rubbed.jpg

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]First I seared it on both sides, and then moved it off the fire and covered it. With the lid that is.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
OnFire.jpg
[/FONT]

I have had trouble keeping the temps low on the Performer in the past so I added my C&C rotisserie ring. This helps somewhat. Then I got a can of water and let that sit on the grate with the roast. Kind of a heat sink and I think it helps keep the air moist.

RotoRing.jpg

I put it on at 3:30 thinking it would take a while. Wrong! An hour later its at 128 and climbing so I got out my super fast Red Thermapen to double check. I let it go about a half hour longer and pulled it at 140. The push test was soft, kind of like rare, so I wrapped it in foil, toweled it, and let it rest.

It rested for an hour and a half. I took it our and this is what I found. WOW!! I cut it right down the middle. A perfect med rare! I’m in heaven.

Unwrapped.jpg

Here it is plated, Chris this is the money shot.

MoneyShot.jpg

We couldn’t wait to dig in, and of course the girls were running around wishing I would drop it.

It was tender, moist with a good smoke flavor. I would put it in a class with
tri tip. Again I have proven “they” or “them” wrong. You do not have to braise this cut for it to be tender.

We ate half tonight and will use my big big deli slicer tomorrow to make French dip sammies.

And lastly, I bought a new camera and did not see a need to touch up any of the pron.
Taken with an Olympus E-PL1

Thanks for lookin, Gym

Oh yea, as this is a Master Cut, and its all about the meat, I focused on that and did not put in any of the rest of the meal.

Beautiful Jim! Is that an eye of chuck?

This cut is sometimes called the eye. I guess its where you live. I googled Mock Tenderloin and got a whole bunch of terms for it. Most important was that it is a chuck roast.

Terms:

• Chuck Eye
  • Chuck Filet
  • Medallion Pot Roast
  • Scotch Tender
Wish I could find it more often, it's cheaper than ground beef now.

Yep... that is an absolutely beautiful dish! The new camera sure helps, but I wreckon that would have looked good even with an old Brownie Camera!

Cheers!

Bill

I guess, Do you have Buffalo near you? Don't get caught poaching. :becky:

Actually, there is a herd smack dab in the middle of Memphis.:becky:

Fo real. Shelby Farms Park. Might be difficult trying to rustle one up though.:heh:

Back