THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok, entry cooked. It's not the prettiest but I challenge that it could very well be the manliest. I still have to upload pics from the camera and write some long-winded post about this adventure. One image I did get with my phone which auto-uploads is a good start though:

IMAG0693.jpg

I'm sorry. That doesn't blown to chit away to me yet.:heh:

Unfortunately the first one was vaporized. So, I had to use my ninja skills to sneak up on another one and incapacitate it with my bare hands.

I stayed up all night waiting for pron. What the fark?

As did I. Wait, I think we are talking about two different things.

Ummm, that's called having one too many, or maybe 4 or 5 too many! I didn't get it either but apparently it was crystal clear to him..at the time!:shock:

Sadly it was clear to me too. I think someone must have spiked the punch.

To me, there is no manlier meat than steak. It just so happens that I bought some USDA Prime ribeyes last week, and decided to cook one up for the throwdown.

The steak started at just shy of 17 ounces. I dusted it with kosher salt, and put it on a rack in the fridge overnight to pull out some of the water near the surface. Getting that water out enhances the flavor, and more importantly, helps create a nice crust when you grill the steak.

picture.php

After the overnite mini dry aging, my steak weighed about an ounce less and had a nice, deep red color.

picture.php

Then, on to seasoning. The steak was already salted, so all I needed was some fresh cracked pepper. That's it. That's all a prime steak needs, IMHO.

picture.php

I got a good, hot fire going in the 18.5 OTS, and put the steak right over the hot coals for a hot and fast cook, aiming for medium rare.

picture.php

I went by the "feel" method, which usually works for me, to know when the steak was done to my liking. I got a nice even crust, and no farking Steven Raichlin grill marks.

picture.php

And then the moment of truth. After a proper rest, the first cut. Nailed it!

picture.php

I think I got all the farking special rules covered this time. But, who knows. :rolleyes:

CD

Fantastic looking rib eye, CD! You didn't mention how it tasted...

And you most definitely met all the special rules, at least as I understood them. :becky:

Fantastic looking rib eye, CD! You didn't mention how it tasted...

And you most definitely met all the special rules, at least as I understood them. :becky:

Itw tasted like USDA Prime ribeye cooked to medium rare -- farking awesome. :becky:

I love what the little bit of drying time does for the crust of the steak. It is not a hard crust, but it is sort of like a good bite-through skin on fried chicken -- it has good mouth feel and adds intensity to the flavor.

CD

Back