THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HangerSteak1.jpg

:shock::shock::shock:

Oh my... That looks and sounds farkin' delicious Moose. :clap2:

Moose, I haven't had beef since I can't remember when. But I had three tiny little beef steaks defrosted that we didn't even know we had, and this looked so good, they're marinating as I write this. Thanks!! I'm having a little bit of beef! Whoo hoo!! :whoo:

Thanks for doing the hanger steak justice..I have seen it destroyed lately because of it's new popularity. It is one of the best cuts if cooked the way you did. Congrats.:thumb:

Just for the record, Moose... I ate those little steaks after sitting in that marinade overnight. I had them for lunch. That marinade made them taste so good, now I'm looking for other stuff I can do the marinade with again. Thanks!! :-D

Just for the record, Moose... I ate those little steaks after sitting in that marinade overnight. I had them for lunch. That marinade made them taste so good, now I'm looking for other stuff I can do the marinade with again. Thanks!! :-D

Glad you liked it, Tish! Other then the Dijon Mustard, it's my go to marinade I use for lamb chops, which works really well. More info HERE.

Nice hanger steak, Moose. :thumb:

And, SirPorkalot, that stuffed trotter is going to be hard to beat. :shocked:

They both look very tasty, but you know how I love creativity.

I guess it is just as well I am out of town until Sunday, since I gots nothin' that can compete. :hail:

CD

I'm trying to locate a butcher who can get me that hunk of meat on the lower leg. I've never cooked it before, but I'm set to give it a try. I would have thought that roast below knee would be tough, but it always looks very tender and delicious.

I'm trying to locate a butcher who can get me that hunk of meat on the lower leg. I've never cooked it before, but I'm set to give it a try. I would have thought that roast below knee would be tough, but it always looks very tender and delicious.

Isn't that what is refered to as a "shank?"

I love lamb shanks. There is not a lot of meat on them, but what is there is very flavorful, and tender, if cooked long enough.

CD

Isn't that what is refered to as a "shank?"

I love lamb shanks. There is not a lot of meat on them, but what is there is very flavorful, and tender, if cooked long enough.

Oh, I absolutely love shank, but it appears to be entirely different from this other cut. The roast below knee that I've seen is pink, perfectly round like a cylinder, and doesn't have any bones to mess with.

Ron,
Oh man. That is going to make voting tough! It looks sooooo good, but "Lesser Known"??? I know I said your super beefy beef ribs would be in, but Tri-Tip is pushing it. I'm following your logic which was my logic before... but man you're pushing it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for a DQ. That is just silly, since Lesser Known can't be defined. Voters should decide. I can say that if the category was beef, you very well could get my vote. :thumb:

Ron,
Oh man. That is going to make voting tough! It looks sooooo good, but "Lesser Known"??? I know I said your super beefy beef ribs would be in, but Tri-Tip is pushing it. I'm following your logic which was my logic before... but man you're pushing it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for a DQ. That is just silly, since Lesser Known can't be defined. Voters should decide. I can say that if the category was beef, you very well could get my vote. :thumb:

To be fair, I totally know where Ron is coming from. Tri-tip just doesn't exist here in toronto, I think I have seen it at a butcher shop once. While it is featured on people's cooks here all the time, at home it is far rarer than beef ribs, lamb shanks, hangar steaks and even haggis!

Ron,

Gheesh Ron, you had to pick a tri-tip. :crazy: You should have stuck to ribs that are much lesser known. I'm going out today to look for a pork butt or brisket. Not sure if I'll be able to find one as those cuts are really rare. I might have to settle on a ribeye. Anyone here ever heard of a ribeye? ... Didn't think so. :heh:

To be fair, I totally know where Ron is coming from. Tri-tip just doesn't exist here in toronto, I think I have seen it at a butcher shop once. While it is featured on people's cooks here all the time, at home it is far rarer than beef ribs, lamb shanks, hangar steaks and even haggis!

I'd go for haggis, but they're illegal in the US. I also can't seem to locate that below-knee roast, so I'm on to Plan D or E.

Gheesh Ron, you had to pick a tri-tip. :crazy: You should have stuck to ribs that are much lesser known. I'm going out today to look for a pork butt or brisket. Not sure if I'll be able to find one as those cuts are really rare. I might have to settle on a ribeye. Anyone here ever heard of a ribeye? ... Didn't think so. :heh:

Gore, if you do find one of those pork butts, try cooking it like a Tri-Tip - I hear they come out really good that way. :thumb:

Ron,

OK. I hereby withdraw my not-lesser-known entry.

Sorry for bothering you all.

Back