THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This has been one amazing throwdown so far and there have been SO many great entries! Bravo! :clap2:

Kind of ironic I won 3 ALF's and the ALF of the year and didn't even enter this one...been too busy with pizza and yardbirds of late!

ALF Club

Well it looks like I missed the voting thread, but I didn't get a zero. :becky:

But seriously, if any ALF winners have not been invited into the club, send me a PM and I will get an invite out.

I happened to do another entry for this one... Reverse-seared curried lamb chops with home-made mango chutney along with sweet potato, asparagus & smoked salmon on the side! :becky::heh: It was GOOD!

Here's the cook thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100983

d7251b9c.jpg

fab7b08d.jpg

Cheers Everyone!

Oh man I am drooling... OMGOMGOMGOMG......

Lamb + Curry = Nirvana....

Just a reminder farkers.... if you think your entry deserves an ALF, please make a post in QTalk. I wanna keep the TD Thread pure to it's own process, but also award those who truly deserve it in a special way.

Cheers!

Bill

Fellow Lamb-o-holic Brethren,

I have been amiss in joining you here for TDs as of late, but I have been with you in spirit. Seeing yesterday that this week was lamb I would have been horrified to not participate in some fashion since lamb is one of my favorites.

That said, last night was my one shot at greatness this week. I was on a bluff overlooking the international fireworks festival in the desert outside of Lake Havasu City, AZ, and luckily someone happened to have a lamb roast with them that needing cooking. Unfortunately, due to the party and considerable imbibing that ensued, I don't have anything to show other than a "cooking proof" picture to share (and deliciously full belly).
IMG_1898-1.JPG

The tiny but well-marinated lamb roast is sharing the spit with a chicken. Both are being done off to the side of the main fire over hardwood lump charcoal and California red oak.

While I had a couple people say it was the best lamb they had ever tasted, knowing that I would be up against the likes of Shaun the Sheep and many other great entries and knowing I don't have any images that actually clearly resemble lamb, I am not planning to enter this week, but thought I would at least chip this in to let you know I with you in spirit.

Here is a bonus pic of the sunset the night before from the same spot:
IMG_1890.JPG

BTW just because Lamb-oholics are reading this, for a to-die-for lamb marinade, try lemon juice, lime juice, LOTS of garlic, LOTS of rosemary, oregano, a dab of Dijon mustard, pepper, and maybe a little bit of EVOO. Let that go for 12-18 hours. Your stomach will thank you.

--Jonny Rotisserie

My first Throwndown Entry...

I hope have done this entry correctly.....

I used a sirloin end of a leg of lamb for this, I purchased it boned an trussed.

I rubbed the meat with a paste of garlic, brown sugar, sea salt, black pepper, a strong Dijon mustard and olive oil.

It is more of a an indirect roast then a smoke, but I did toss a few rosemary sprigs on the coals hoping to impart some flavor.

P2190109.jpg

It roasted for about an hour and a half until the internal temp got to 165, as my wife and daughter do not like to much pink.

I made a Cabernet sauce to finish the dish, and I must say it was a great choice. Served with a salad of mixed greens and a stuffed baby portabella mushrooms. The stuffing was spinach, toasted garlic, ramano cheese and bread crumbs.

P2190112.jpg

Lamb has not been served at my house before and was a first for everyone but myself. Even my picky daughter enjoyed it and I got a thumbs up from Dawn (my wife).

P2190113.jpg

Thanks and I hope you enjoy the view....

SeeYa
DavidLSI

Last edited:
Smoked leg of lamb with mango jalapeno slaw wrapped in a guajillo tortilla.

I have NEVER cooked lamb in my life let alone had a recipe to use. My idea actually came from a couple areas but primarily I thought fruit needed to be included.

First things first, I initially wanted to impart a good flavor throughout the meat with a marinade. So, a modified Al Pastor marinade (pineapple/orange juice) was used and I let the meat marinate for 24 hours before it thought of seeing a smoker.

During the cook I wanted a nice crust to form so the last 10* I used my home made bbq sauce (includes pineapple juice.) The sauce has a nice sugar content that allows for a great looking crust.

Finally, I needed something more to make this a meal so I Made some of my mango jalapeno slaw to go with the lamb. I love tortillas as a food delivery vehicle so I went with a guajillo tortilla recipe I had.

Wrapped everything up and chowed down. It didn't suck ;)

Mui bueno!

Used my mango jalapeno slaw recipe I posted previously (modified to included one shredded jicama): Mango Jalapeno Slaw

Ingredients
5462361170_514ea56e75_b.jpg

All mixed up
5462361504_d4367a04ba_b.jpg

Then, I made some of my sweet n' spicy bbq sauce posted earlier:
Hooks sweet n’ spicy BBQ sauce

The next thing that needed to be pre-made was the marinade:
Achiote marinade
  • Achiote paste
  • Orange-pineapple juice
  • Garlic
  • Apple Cider Vinegar
  • Lime juice
  • Serrano pepper
  • Onion
  • Mexican Oregano
  • Salt

Ingredients
5462373286_3f5770a9e5_b.jpg

Blended…very vibrant color
5461771759_1c684eef30_b.jpg

First Lamb Leg
5462373640_2b679f46a3_b.jpg

All nice and marinated for 24 hours
5462358972_8dabf77e0c_b.jpg

In the smoker and temp being monitored...
5461757243_0ac6ae4200_b.jpg

Patience is a virtue…I forget the total cook time but it was around 2+ hours.
5461757675_0891592d0a_b.jpg

Basted with the bbq sauce (with some butter added) during last 10*
5461758435_ce3c048f21_b.jpg

Let it rest for about 30 -45 minutes. Slice and combine with cole slaw wrapped up in a freshly made guajillo tortilla (home made if possible.)

All wrapped up and ready to eat.

5462092965_871e59fcc5_b.jpg

5462693032_f26aa87b16_b.jpg

This is my entry pic:
5462693354_a2cc360238_b.jpg

Back