BBQ Brethren "Lamb" Throwdown

This has been one amazing throwdown so far and there have been SO many great entries! Bravo! :clap2:

Kind of ironic I won 3 ALF's and the ALF of the year and didn't even enter this one...been too busy with pizza and yardbirds of late!

ALF Club

Well it looks like I missed the voting thread, but I didn't get a zero. :becky:

But seriously, if any ALF winners have not been invited into the club, send me a PM and I will get an invite out.

I happened to do another entry for this one... Reverse-seared curried lamb chops with home-made mango chutney along with sweet potato, asparagus & smoked salmon on the side! :becky::heh: It was GOOD!

Here's the cook thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100983

d7251b9c.jpg

fab7b08d.jpg

Cheers Everyone!

Oh man I am drooling... OMGOMGOMGOMG......

Lamb + Curry = Nirvana....

Just a reminder farkers.... if you think your entry deserves an ALF, please make a post in QTalk. I wanna keep the TD Thread pure to it's own process, but also award those who truly deserve it in a special way.

Cheers!

Bill

Fellow Lamb-o-holic Brethren,

I have been amiss in joining you here for TDs as of late, but I have been with you in spirit. Seeing yesterday that this week was lamb I would have been horrified to not participate in some fashion since lamb is one of my favorites.

That said, last night was my one shot at greatness this week. I was on a bluff overlooking the international fireworks festival in the desert outside of Lake Havasu City, AZ, and luckily someone happened to have a lamb roast with them that needing cooking. Unfortunately, due to the party and considerable imbibing that ensued, I don't have anything to show other than a "cooking proof" picture to share (and deliciously full belly).
IMG_1898-1.JPG

The tiny but well-marinated lamb roast is sharing the spit with a chicken. Both are being done off to the side of the main fire over hardwood lump charcoal and California red oak.

While I had a couple people say it was the best lamb they had ever tasted, knowing that I would be up against the likes of Shaun the Sheep and many other great entries and knowing I don't have any images that actually clearly resemble lamb, I am not planning to enter this week, but thought I would at least chip this in to let you know I with you in spirit.

Here is a bonus pic of the sunset the night before from the same spot:
IMG_1890.JPG

BTW just because Lamb-oholics are reading this, for a to-die-for lamb marinade, try lemon juice, lime juice, LOTS of garlic, LOTS of rosemary, oregano, a dab of Dijon mustard, pepper, and maybe a little bit of EVOO. Let that go for 12-18 hours. Your stomach will thank you.

--Jonny Rotisserie

My first Throwndown Entry...

I hope have done this entry correctly.....

I used a sirloin end of a leg of lamb for this, I purchased it boned an trussed.

I rubbed the meat with a paste of garlic, brown sugar, sea salt, black pepper, a strong Dijon mustard and olive oil.

It is more of a an indirect roast then a smoke, but I did toss a few rosemary sprigs on the coals hoping to impart some flavor.

P2190109.jpg

It roasted for about an hour and a half until the internal temp got to 165, as my wife and daughter do not like to much pink.

I made a Cabernet sauce to finish the dish, and I must say it was a great choice. Served with a salad of mixed greens and a stuffed baby portabella mushrooms. The stuffing was spinach, toasted garlic, ramano cheese and bread crumbs.

P2190112.jpg

Lamb has not been served at my house before and was a first for everyone but myself. Even my picky daughter enjoyed it and I got a thumbs up from Dawn (my wife).

P2190113.jpg

Thanks and I hope you enjoy the view....

SeeYa
DavidLSI

Last edited:
Smoked leg of lamb with mango jalapeno slaw wrapped in a guajillo tortilla.

I have NEVER cooked lamb in my life let alone had a recipe to use. My idea actually came from a couple areas but primarily I thought fruit needed to be included.

First things first, I initially wanted to impart a good flavor throughout the meat with a marinade. So, a modified Al Pastor marinade (pineapple/orange juice) was used and I let the meat marinate for 24 hours before it thought of seeing a smoker.

During the cook I wanted a nice crust to form so the last 10* I used my home made bbq sauce (includes pineapple juice.) The sauce has a nice sugar content that allows for a great looking crust.

Finally, I needed something more to make this a meal so I Made some of my mango jalapeno slaw to go with the lamb. I love tortillas as a food delivery vehicle so I went with a guajillo tortilla recipe I had.

Wrapped everything up and chowed down. It didn't suck ;)

Mui bueno!

Used my mango jalapeno slaw recipe I posted previously (modified to included one shredded jicama): Mango Jalapeno Slaw

Ingredients
5462361170_514ea56e75_b.jpg

All mixed up
5462361504_d4367a04ba_b.jpg

Then, I made some of my sweet n' spicy bbq sauce posted earlier:
Hooks sweet n’ spicy BBQ sauce

The next thing that needed to be pre-made was the marinade:
Achiote marinade
  • Achiote paste
  • Orange-pineapple juice
  • Garlic
  • Apple Cider Vinegar
  • Lime juice
  • Serrano pepper
  • Onion
  • Mexican Oregano
  • Salt

Ingredients
5462373286_3f5770a9e5_b.jpg

Blended…very vibrant color
5461771759_1c684eef30_b.jpg

First Lamb Leg
5462373640_2b679f46a3_b.jpg

All nice and marinated for 24 hours
5462358972_8dabf77e0c_b.jpg

In the smoker and temp being monitored...
5461757243_0ac6ae4200_b.jpg

Patience is a virtue…I forget the total cook time but it was around 2+ hours.
5461757675_0891592d0a_b.jpg

Basted with the bbq sauce (with some butter added) during last 10*
5461758435_ce3c048f21_b.jpg

Let it rest for about 30 -45 minutes. Slice and combine with cole slaw wrapped up in a freshly made guajillo tortilla (home made if possible.)

All wrapped up and ready to eat.

5462092965_871e59fcc5_b.jpg

5462693032_f26aa87b16_b.jpg

This is my entry pic:
5462693354_a2cc360238_b.jpg

Back