THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

attachment.php

My new idol. That looks awesome!

Drunken Pseudo-Strami

When it comes to curing meats aside from smoking, I have little to no experience but, I wanted to give it a go being that's one of the most recent Throwdowns. Now, the limited experience I've had before has involved making pastrami from corned beef that you can get at the store. Being that this was going to be something I did from raw meat to slicing up the finished product, I decided that pastrami would be a good way for me to go. One problem, I normally suffer from a major brisket availability deficit in my area and this time was no exception to that. I headed to the local stores and searched high and low but, the only thing I was able to come across that was of good size and cheap enough to experiment with was a cut of meat I had never heard of, Beef Arm Roast. I picked up two and figured I'd have one just cooked normal in case I managed to scare the family with my newest creation. Now to add a bit of a twist to it, I happened to have just bottled up some wine...
We started off by gathering all of our ingredients for our brine together.
1007100849.jpg

Then came the brine!
1007100855a.jpg

There it be within the briney depths!
1007100855b.jpg

After a 2 and a half days, the meat was removed from the brine and found to have taken on an almost purple color.
1008102117.jpg

As you can tell, the brined one looks very different from the normal one.
1009100828-1.jpg

Then the rub down!
1009100829a.jpg

Onto the smoker they went cruising at 250. To cook all afternoon.
1009101258.jpg

1009101300.jpg

when it hit an internal of 160, I took a slice off of each and finding both to be pretty tender, I pulled them. I then let them rest for about 2 hours before slicing them up.
1010101727b.jpg

It was deciding that after tasting the experimental one, we would donate the normal one and horde it all for ourselves. :becky: (throwdown pic please)
1010101728b.jpg

We decided to do up some grilled cheese type sandwiches with them for dinner.
1010101756a.jpg

I decided to dub this creation.
Drunken Pseudo-Strami!
The only things I would change with this creation would be to leave it in the brine for at least one more day longer and the water solution for half a day more for sure. The flavor was awesome but, I wanted more of it! And as far as the tenderness factor goes, it was awesome and in fact, I think it could have even been pulled at a slightly lower temp.
Thanks for looking!

For this throw down, I decided to cure and smoke some smoked sausage, pastrami, smoked ham, and a bit of cappicola.

-For the sausage, I had 12 lbs of rib trim that I seasoned, cured, stuffed into natural casings and hickory smoked to a 152* IT.

-For the pastrami, I found a small, trimmed brisket flat and pumped a curing brine into it. It was pumped to 15% of green weight. It then soaked in the cure for 4 days, lightly smoked with oak, panned and tented with beer and juniper berries at 160* and pulled off the smoker at 180*IT.

-For the smoked ham and cappicola , I pumped a cure in each to 10% of green weight, soaked in cure solution for 5 days. I tied the ham into shape. I coated the cappicola with Spanish paprika, cayenne, and red pepper flakes and stuffed the cappicola into a synthetic casing. Smoked both products to 152*IT
Thanks for looking.
View attachment 46053

View attachment 46054

View attachment 46055

View attachment 46056

View attachment 46057

View attachment 46058

View attachment 46059

View attachment 46060
This is my entry shot. Thanks for looking.

What? NO ANDOUILLE!

Back