THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Like I really care about this corned beef thingy you're doing. Let's talk more about this dark weissbier. Have you made this before? What's it like? Care to share the recipe? I've got 6 fermenters ready to go and the weather is turning cooler.... This website is about finding good foods to have with our beer, isn't it? Can't we talk a bit more about the main course?
Farkin' thanks buttons.
Gore, you're a grain eater?!?:shock:

DSC01273a.jpg

I was real busy this week and knew I didn't have time for any kind of long cure, so Tuesday I injected this turkey breast with a brine, then smoked it the next day......​

DSC01281ra.jpg

DSC01289rac2.jpg

But, this is only a possible entry because I played hookey from work Thursday and went fishing.
j0318102.gif
I had a good day. 4 fillets are in my dry cure as we speak. After work tomorrow I'll break out the Big Chief.

DSC01303a.jpg

DSC01245a.jpg

I was real busy this week and knew I didn't have time for any kind of long cure, so Tuesday I injected this turkey breast with a brine, then smoked it the next day......

But, this is only a possible entry because I played hookey from work Thursday and went fishing.
j0318102.gif
I had a good day. 4 fillets are in my dry cure as we speak. After work tomorrow I'll break out the Big Chief.

About time a real expert showed up! I figured (hoped)you'd be in this!

Cheers!

Bill

Dang, thirdeye, guess I'll be taking my marbles and going home now:wink:. Turkey be looking fine, but I hope you can swing the fish, cannot wait to see that fish:thumb:.

Smoked Chicken Confit in Bacon Fat

Since I usually like to take 8-10 days to make a batch of bacon or pastrami, I decided to take a little turn for this throwdown. So I started to think about quick cures and since duck confit has been on my “to cook” list for about a year, I decided to go with a confit. But it can be hard to find duck legs and I was not sure that I’d want to smoke them I thought chicken might be perfect. So here’s what I did:

I took a bunch of chicken legs and arranged them in a dish and put herbs from the garden along with salt and put it into the refrigerator for 2 days to cure.
ChxConfit01.jpg

In the meantime, I got all of my bacon ends out of the freezer and rendered than down. I ended up with 3/4 of a quart.
ChxConfit02.jpg

ChxConfit03.jpg

After 2 days, I rinsed off the chicken, and smoked it for about an hour and a half.
ChxConfit04.jpg

Then back into the baking dish, covered with the bacon fat, and into the oven for 12 hrs at 180 degrees. It smelled incredible while it was cooking. Here’s what it looked like when I took it out.
ChxConfit05.jpg

Then I let it cool and put it back in the fridge for 3 days.
ChxConfit06.jpg

I separated the juices from the bottom and concentrated them down to make a sauce.
ChxConfit07.jpg

I fried up some diced potatoes in the confit fat.
ChxConfit08.jpg

I grill the legs to crisp up the skin and warm them up.
ChxConfit09.jpg

I put it altogether on a plate. It might have been some of the best checken I’ve ever eaten. (and there’s 5 more legs in the fridge)
Here’s the entry photo:
ChxConfit11.JPG

I went outside to shut down the kettle and got back in time to catch my youngest stealing a taste. Good thing I’d finished the photos.
ChxConfit10.jpg

Last edited:
OK smoked and cured........well I never, ever, ever tried anything like this.
But I've always wanted to make smoked salmon. And to tell you the truth I got a fair bit of help from my husband for this one. Not in the catching of the fish, some of you know that my husband is not the greatest of fishermen. All he brings back with him on his fishing trips are pictures like these:

DSC00284.jpg

But he did a heck of a lot of research to find out that .... Jeepers there are a lot of different ways to do this.

IMG_0818.jpg

I love smoked salmon on bagels in the morning. We used a dry salt-sugar cure with black pepper.

IMG_0819.jpg

I wrapped the salmon in foil and sandwiched it between some planks.

IMG_0820.jpg

After 24 hours I took it and soaked it in water to rinse, changing the water several times. The color was much deeper. I seasoned with some brown sugar, maple syrup and a bit of pepper, and put it on my Oval at 225*. This is not a cold smoke.

IMG_0830.jpg

After about 1 1/2 hours the temperature was up to 145* and it is the way I like it.
IMG_0835.jpg

I let it cool, wrapped it up and put it in the fridge to let the flavors mingle. Meanwhile I made some bagels! I've never made these before either. I made up my dough balls and let them rise.

IMG_0840.jpg

I added the holes

IMG_0841.jpg

and boiled them in a non-diastic malt syrup, sugar and water bath.

IMG_0843.jpg

Sesame seeds or poppy seeds? I like it when you realize you don't have to make up your mind.

IMG_0842.jpg

They went onto my Oval

IMG_0844.jpg

and after flipping them over and cooking the other side, they looked pretty good (tasted pretty good too).

IMG_0845.jpg

I dressed these up with the works:

IMG_0876-1-1.jpg

For a first attempt, it went pretty well, but it was a little on the salty side. A little more soaking next time. Thanks for looking.

DSC01314a.jpg

It was about a perfect Wyoming day for smoking those trout fillets.... Temperatures in the high 50's and light showers on and off, the humidity helps (we normally don't have any... heheee) These were completely de-boned and I dry cured 'em for 8 hours, then rinsed, seasoned and equalized in the fridge for 11 more. Alder wood was the choice here, and I kept the smoker between 120° and 130° for 4 hours, then ramped it up to 170° in order to finish the trout at 140°. I generally refrigerate overnight for maximum moistness, but I did have a sample. :thumb: I liked it so much I'm going fishing again tomorrow.​

The photo above and below are before going into the smoker.​

DSC01313ac.jpg

And the entry photo.​

DSC01324ac.jpg

For this throw down, I decided to cure and smoke some smoked sausage, pastrami, smoked ham, and a bit of cappicola.

-For the sausage, I had 12 lbs of rib trim that I seasoned, cured, stuffed into natural casings and hickory smoked to a 152* IT.

-For the pastrami, I found a small, trimmed brisket flat and pumped a curing brine into it. It was pumped to 15% of green weight. It then soaked in the cure for 4 days, lightly smoked with oak, panned and tented with beer and juniper berries at 160* and pulled off the smoker at 180*IT.

-For the smoked ham and cappicola , I pumped a cure in each to 10% of green weight, soaked in cure solution for 5 days. I tied the ham into shape. I coated the cappicola with Spanish paprika, cayenne, and red pepper flakes and stuffed the cappicola into a synthetic casing. Smoked both products to 152*IT
Thanks for looking.
curingstuff.jpg

stuffing.jpg

smoker.jpg

pickle.jpg

posmoker.jpg

capiham.jpg

product.jpg

sliced1.jpg
This is my entry shot. Thanks for looking.

You're all a bunch of show offs. Chicken leg confit? A bunch of charcuterie? Home made bagels? Good thing I can't cook right now.

Every single entry has been stunning - they ALL look incredible...:clap2:

Beef Bacon

I wanted to go a little different with this one, everybody has had bacon, but why not take the beautiful this that is Beef and make bacon? I give you Beef Bacon

Started with a wet cure, Salt, Sugar, Pepper, Coriander, and Celery Seed

5069252710_85008ce674_z.jpg

Bought it to a boil then cooled it, then we have the beef belly

A fresh Grass Fed beef belly from the carcass delivered that morning

5068650227_de78a055a4_z.jpg

5068654943_b6d58b4592_z.jpg

It sat in the wet cure from Tuesday night to Sunday morning. Today it was cold smoked for 2 hours with Hickory then smoked at an average of 225*F for about 3 hours until the center was 141*F.

Rested, sliced, then pan fried a few slices. Please use this as my entry:

5069269758_0a3f945cf2_z.jpg

It tastes great, nice and salty - but the fat does not render like pork fat. All in all I'd do it again.

Back