THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Holy crap.. 4400 this morning... unbelievable... Thank you again to everyone who is helping.. :clap2:

So, with all this activity, i spoke with Eric last night, and we(ok, HE) came up with a plan.. Im going to the meat supplier today with a rough order of our main meats, then going down the supplies list to get a number estimated within $1500(thats the contribution I am putting in). If, including my $1500 and the go fundme $$, our protein and equipment costs are covered, then we will expand our service time by 2 hours..

Why you ask?? heres why..

We have about 200 guest arriving early with family. They are veterans of past, Combat vets or not. But they are special guests dating back to WW II and Vietnam as well as desert storm era. They were coming in early for the parade of ships. We would like to move service time to 1PM to include things like bacon wrapped chicken Tenderloins, Abts, Stuffed figs, Beef Medalions(hangers), etc.. We have PLENTY of volunteers to help with labor intensive preparations(like ABTS for 200). So any extra funds we get over the initial outlay we will put towards a 'cocktail' hour for the non active duty vets that are coming down. So I hesitantly increased the goal to $5500. I figured its already done, people are willing to help and at the risk of looking a gift horse in the mouth, we are going to try to make it bigger and better.

I was told yesterday by the Navy Liasion that we have set the bar pretty high for future events like this and shes amazed at how our community has come together in sucha short period.. I have to say, betwen her(Jennifer Pinto) and Motoeric, we have a team like the Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D.

Sounds like it is going great Boss! It's really great what y'all are doing. Part of the reason I increased my smoker capacity is in hopes of helping do something like this here in the SATX area. Unfortunately, I still haven't found a group doing something like it. I don't have the experience to try to start something myself. I'll keep looking...

Being a Vet myself, it does my heart good to see this massive show of appreciation to our active duty. While I cant make it to NY to enjoy it first hand, I will do whatever I can from here.

Sharing a link to the gofundme on your FB page would be a big help.

Thank you for your service.

Eric

Yes, we did.

Hopefully they will come on board if we have the opportunity to do this again.

Eric

You may want to try to contact Smithfield directly. At the KCBS awards banquet this winter, their spokesman said they were making an effort to double down on their two main sponsorship's of BBQ and NASCAR. This sure would be a good place for them to get some exposure...just a thought!

Keep up the good work folks!

I know that he doesn't dig the credit but, Motoeric is a monster in terms of reaching out and organizing these events. He always tries to stay stealth.

and he gets cranky when you out him..

dont ask me how I know that.

This is last photo I have of him.

Attachments

• Untitled-4.jpg
    Untitled-4.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 186
The guests!

The USS Bainbridge - DDG-96
USS%20Bainbridge%20%28DDG-96%29.jpg

The USS Farragut - DDG-99
USS_Farragut_%28DDG_99%29.jpg

The USCGC Forward - WMEC-911
USCGC_Forward.jpg

While that Coast Guard tug is tied off will somebody please scuff off that uphill lettering and repaint it level to the world...
Ed

I was really happy to lend a little support to such a great event. Buying a couple of plates of Q for our troops is the least I can do for young people that sacrifice so much for me and my family.

But I'm happier yet, to be connected to all of you BBQ enthusiasts. You, who freely share your talents and experience with the rest of this little community, and make feeding our own troops so much fun.

Thanks.

I'm in. Thanks to all those who helped organize this.

I'm not sure we're going to be in town that weekend yet but would love to come down with my son to help if we are. Would be a great experience plus I've wanted to understand more about what it takes to do this kind of thing. He's 18 and will be heading to college in the fall and is planning on doing ROTC while there. Would be awesome for him to help and interact with the troops.

On the other hand, not sure I can afford it. The contribution and trip costs are no problem. Meeting Paul and seeing the SF cookers in person could be problematic.

Back