THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not sure how this works, and after that entry it probably doesnt matter as it looks awesome...but here we goooooo...

14 lb brisket on the smoker...
9214444587_fdb0f46384_c.jpg

9214442425_4faaec27a7_c.jpg

9217221486_607c7e84d2.jpg

Sliced up... love the point...
9214452859_3125050654_c.jpg

Panned up ready to go.... Please use this panned picture for the throw down...

9217225586_777e7e6f24_c.jpg

My official entry to the BRISKET MASTER THROWDOWN:becky:

Before I go into detail about my brisket cook, I would like to give a special Thanks to Toast for sending me some great videos on cooking brisket that were a great help on my first go around!

Since Ive never cooked a whole brisket before I wanted to get the best cut I could find.
So I went to Bristol Farms and bought a choice brisket!

IMG_6849_zpsc8dcc145.jpg

IMG_6852_zps2f24e28b.jpg

I started out by trimming the fat cap back to about a 1/4" and lightly seasoning with kosher salt, corse black pepper and peppered cow. I did not want to over-season the brisket but to just get enough to complement the flavors of the meat.
IMG_6882_zpsd1ad5453.jpg

I put the brisket on my 50 year old Kamado with some hardwood briquets and a fist sized chunk of HICKORY to add just a light wood flavor, again to complement the flavor, but not overpower the flavor of the brisket. (notice the beautifully seasoned pit)
IMG_6879_zps7e146f41.jpg

Here she is giving off a light blue smoke at 220 degrees.
IMG_6880_zps8168f587.jpg

I smoked this brisket for 10 hours at 220. It was probe tender and full of juice when I pulled it and wrapped in a blanket to rest for another 2 hours.

IMG_6894_zpsdf2295f7.jpg

OH YES!:becky: LOOK AT THE BARK! WOOF!
IMG_6909_zps132751d5.jpg

Take a look at that smoke ring and the juice all over the cutting board!
IMG_6911_zps771aa2d5.jpg

IMG_6914_zps2082c514.jpg

Lets not forget the bend test! PASS!
IMG_6916_zps1d4180cd.jpg

Heres a look at the fatcap side of the brisket! Yes, it tasted as good as it looked!:clap2:
Please use this as my money shot!
user17974_pic7622_1373045285_zps3e107f17.jpg

I would just like to say that my first brisket far exceeded all my expectations!
I sure cant say Im a master yet but I think Im well on my way to becoming one!

Thank you all for taking the time to look at my cook and hope you all had a GREAT 4TH OF JULY!

Last edited:
Here goes..

I had a few concerns from the get go. 1) it was my first brisket, about a 10.5 pounder, 2) it was a fresh brisket, all the reading I've done says try to find a well aged brisket. I have a buddy who raises beef and pork, I help butcher and get meat at a very decent price and I usually have a freezer or two full of meat. I cut this brisket off the last beefer we did, back in March. Next time I will leave a little more fat on it. But overall, I am very pleased the way it came out. Maybe a little too done? It was pretty tender, fell right apart. I had a few friends over as guinea pigs, and they all loved it. Trying to keep it simple, I followed Bigabyte's awesome tutorial. Thanks Biggie!:clap2: I was kinda busy being host and my camera also decided to fark with me, some picture files were "corrupt" when downloaded :confused: But here is what went down:

At the starting line-
100_4632.jpg

100_4631.jpg

Rubbed up and ready..
100_4665.jpg

Sunrise at 5:30AM
100_4663.jpg

Fresh ham
100_4662.jpg

Brisket at the foiling point..
100_4669.jpg

Breakfast
100_4672.jpg

CI pot full of magic beans
100_4673.jpg

Brisket done, heading for the cooler
100_4677.jpg

Burnt ends
100_4678.jpg

Plate full of 'turds
100_4680.jpg

Sausage fatty stuffed with feta, spinach and garlic scapes
100_4682.jpg

Ham
100_4683.jpg

Finally the brisket-entry shot
100_4689.jpg

Thanks Brethren, I'm addicted.

Last edited:
We're getting some great entries here, keep it up! :clap2:

However, PLEASE be sure to indicate which of your photos you want used for your entry shot, or it will be chosen for you, and that could mean it may not be the photo you had in mind.

Well finally popped my throwdown cherry. Poured rain from when I started at 3:30 this morning all the way until about 1pm here, made running my offset a PITA. However the big baby ran steady at 250 and turned out a brisket that makes my all-time top 3, maybe best ever. Please enjoy the photos and comments.

Started out with a 13lb packer from Sams, trimmed it, injected and rubbed with Plowboy's Bovine Bold and let it marinade for about 8hr in the fridge:

Fired up the pit at 3:30 this morning, running a mix of Hickory and Oak. I was also cooking 6 butts for a party I catered.

The point finished way before the flat did, so I separated the two, wrapped the point up in foil and then put the flat back on the smoker.

I just got a new BBQ knife set from VinceM and I gotta say it is awesome. The slicer will replace one of my favorite J.A. HENCKELS its that good.

Supper was awesome, had sliced brisket, a little of the point pulled, pickles, BBQ onions, black eye peas, mashed taters, green beans sliced white bread b/c I'm from 'Bama and that is just how we do 'que.

And a few money shots:

Tender, yup!

and juicy! please us this photo as my entry for the throwdown

I got a black angus packer in the fridge, but it has rained for three days straight. If weather permits, I'll be in tomorrow. Otherwise, I see pastrami in my future.

My first ever throwdown!
13 lb choice packer wet aged for about 30 days. Nice and flexible.
Cooked HnF on my first drum i ever built. ran about 325. wrapped after 3 hrs with a total cook time of 5 hrs 15 minutes. rested for an hour and sliced.

I can't figure out how to copy your pics BbqB, but I'll take two platefuls please! :mrgreen:

Back