THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beef Ribs a la "Movie Road"

It is an honor to be joining you here with my first-ever post on the Brethren. The “Beef Rib Throwdown” seemed like a great place to start as rotisserie beef ribs are one of my favorite things to cook.
IMG_4577.JPG

I figured to join your ranks here, I better start with something a bit dramatic, so the background for today’s entry is the Alabama Hills off Hwy 395 near Lone Pine, California. I was tucked just off Movie Road where many of America’s favorite Westerns were filmed with stars such as Roy Rogers and John Wayne.
IMG_4586.JPG

For your pron pleasure, I have chosen to do my racks in two different styles. Both are done over a combination of red oak wood and mesquite lump charcoal. As a nod to the Santa Maria style of BBQ (from the coast of California not too far from here), whose flavors center around red oak smoke, one rack has their traditional mix of salt, pepper and garlic powder. That’s it. It’s simple yet awesome as it lets the meat become the star. The second rack is dusted with McCormick’s new “Applewood Rub”. Mmmm….
I'll make this one my official entry:

IMG_4630.JPG

As a sign of my commitment to you and this competition, you can see in this one photo:
IMG_4590-mod.jpg

that--despite this delicious setting--today is the 11th and the last day of the competition and there was no cell site there, so I had to drive close to the nearest town once it was done so I could post this up here for you. Hence…sigh…my beverage was something tragically other than beer. Please vote for me so I will know my sacrifice was not in vain!

Here's the finished product:

IMG_4636.JPG

--Jonny Rotisserie

Last edited:
I shredded the meat in big chunks and put together my sandwich with an anchoa sauce, fried onions, and added some homemade sweet potato fries and a beer for my husband.

Looks really great!

Wonder what signal of the Apocalypse would have to happen for my Bride to both Cook and get me a Beer? :confused:

For this throwdown I tried something a bit different. I began with boneless beef ribs. I know it sounds like one of those "Turkey Bacon" things, sacrilegious. Ribs, ... without the bone! What will they think of next?

I deleted the prons, Just could not stand to look at all that good stuff all over. :laugh:

The rolls look awesome. What did you use for the dough?

Baking is something I have been thinking about learning. It's on my to do list, if I could find it.:laugh:

For this throwdown I tried something a bit different. I began with boneless beef ribs. I know it sounds like one of those "Turkey Bacon" things, sacrilegious. Ribs, ... without the bone! What will they think of next?
I deleted the prons, Just could not stand to look at all that good stuff all over. :laugh:

The rolls look awesome. What did you use for the dough?

Baking is something I have been thinking about learning. It's on my to do list, if I could find it.:laugh:

I got the recipe from King Arthur Flour. It called for onion powder. I used a teaspoon of garlic instead. It called for dried onions to be rolled inside. I was fresh out, so I diced up five shallots, sauteed them in oil, with a little butter to help them brown, a pinch of salt and used them in place of the onions. They are very good. They go stale quickly, two days, but that's not really a problem :grin: -- still edible, but I recommend toasted.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/reci...1&spJobID=176216402&spReportId=MTc2MjE2NDAyS0

I got the recipe from King Arthur Flour. It called for onion powder. I used a teaspoon of garlic instead. It called for dried onions to be rolled inside. I was fresh out, so I diced up five shallots, sauteed them in oil, with a little butter to help them brown, a pinch of salt and used them in place of the onions. They are very good. They go stale quickly, two days, but that's not really a problem :grin: -- still edible, but I recommend toasted.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/reci...1&spJobID=176216402&spReportId=MTc2MjE2NDAyS0

Awesome, got to try that.:thumb::thumb:

Them beef ribs look farkin' fantastic Jonny!

Lookin at that landscape I started singing "Moooon shadow... on the traaail..." (three amigos mod) (G'nite Ned!)

Nice pics!

Back