THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here is my entry, an apple-cranberry chutney pie with curry sauce.
PB190397.jpg

OK, when I first joked around about and Apple Burger Sammich, I had no idea I would be drooling over one like that!:thumb:

Dang Bob, that is one interesting dish right there, I can honestly say I've never seen something like that before. I would definitely like to give it a try!:cool:

...and Terrry...dayum!:shock: That looks like something I could tear up pretty quick!:hungry:

There is a lot more pork in this apple throwdown than I expected. But, it is shaping up to be another tough one.

There is a lot more pork in this apple throwdown than I expected. But, it is shaping up to be another tough one.

Brace yourself, my egg-laying, flat-tailed, funny-looking, fast-swimming, warm-blooded, duck-billed, web-footed, burrow-digging f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f friend... :becky: :becky: :becky:

Here's more pork! Pork and apples go so well together!

P2280469.JPG

Grilled Pork Porterhouse with Apple-Cranberry Chutney and roasted red skins, zucchini, yellow squash and baby confetti eggplant (see, there's something for everyone!)

I didn't get a full set of prep and cooking pictures because I was multitasking and forgot until the end :redface: But, here's the basic process...

I have been using the salting technique on steaks with great success so I decided to try it on a chop. The local Fresh Market store had these big, thick pork porterhouse on sale so I grabbed a couple. I took them out of the fridge yesterday evening and sprinkled both sides with poultry seasoning and then a heavy layer of kosher salt and let them sit on the counter for an hour. Then I rinsed off the salt, dried them and gave them a coat of fresh ground black pepper and let them sit for another 30 minutes. Then I cooked them indirect for 20 minutes and then put them over the fire for 5 minutes per side to sear. They were 150 internal when they came in to rest.

For the chutney I started with this recipe but modified it as I went since I didn't need that much chutney. I cut everything in half and substituted dried cherries for the golden raisins and added about 1/4 teaspoon of ground cayenne to give it a little kick. I also added a little kosher salt near the end.

The potatoes and veggies were cooked in a foil half-pan in the grill. I cut up the red skins and coated them with some EVOO and Yardbird and put them into the grill while I prepped the veggies and made the chutney. After 20 minutes or so I added the zucchini, yellow squash and baby eggplant. I also tossed them with EVOO and Yardbird. I let that mixture cook for another 15 minutes before cooking the chops.

Here's money shot :-D (use this for the throwdown pic, please)...

P2280474.JPG

Apple Dessert Cart

Since I chose this category I figured I’d contribute an entry. The first thing I thought of was “bacon wrapped apple balls” or “appoink Balls” Unfortunately, it was difficult to carve big apple balls, and I didn’t think small apple balls would cut it…

I moved on to apple pie, but I wanted to make it a really special apple pie so I put on my thinking cap and thought about my favorite apple pies. That led to thinking about my other favorite pie, “pecan pie”. I did a quick test on Thursday to make sure the sugary custard would set up with apples in it and it worked!

I made up a batch of pie dough, based of course on “rendered pork fat”. I peeled and sliced up apples. And then I started to think about apple pizza…

So’s here’s what I did:
I wrapped some apple chunks with bacon and smoke roasted them indirect on the kettle.
01-abt.jpg

Then I wrapped them with pie dough.
02-abt.jpg

And set up the kettle for baking:
03-abt.jpg

I threw together an apple pizza (based again on the pie dough) and cooked it most of the way.
08-aza.jpg

Then I added some cheddar and walnuts and cooked it until the cheese melted.
09-aza.jpg

Finally for the Apple Pecan Pie, I blind baked the pie crust.
04-app.jpg

Started with a layer of apples.
05-app.jpg

Added pecans and the sugar custard.
06-app.jpg

And baked it on the kettle.
07-app.jpg

Here’s the hardest part: Waiting for the apple pecan pie to cool…
all-together.jpg

And I added some Chambord Whipped Cream to create my entry photo:
Apple Pecan Pie, Bacon Apple Turnover, and Apple Walut Pizza
entry.jpg

Thanks for Looking!

Dang Ron_L, I braced myself and still flopped over. That is impressive stuff.

Jim, i see you have gone the volume x sugar route, not a bad strategy.

Apple and Pork Sausage in a Fried Apple-Oatmeal Wrap

I made an apple and pork sausage to start out with. I began with 5 lbs pork. I seasoned the pork with a chopped onion,marjoram, sage,nutmeg, salt and black pepper. This mix was double ground and then added to it was roughly chopped Gala apples for texture and of course presence. Stuffed into hog casings and then hot smoked on the UDS, char finished on the gasserrr.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

To finish it up:
I made a batter out of oatmeal, cottage cheese, eggs, cinnamon,nutmeg, and vanilla to make a wrap for the sausage.
attachment.php

Once blended, I added shredded apples and more cinnamon to the batter.
attachment.php

The wrap was fried in bacon grease in an iron skillet on the gasserrr.
attachment.php

Ready to eat! My Throw Down Entry
attachment.php

One down and one to go, it's beer thirty!
Thanks for looking.
attachment.php

Well, I finally have gotten around to entering one of these throwdowns. I present my Grilled Pork and Apples with Carmelized Onions.

I started with a chimney full of lump
IMG_1235.jpg

Then I picked some apple wood from the pile:
IMG_1237.jpg

Once the grill was hot, onto the offset rack went the pork chops:
IMG_1239.jpg

Here's a picture midway through the cook:
IMG_1240.jpg

Once the pork was done, on went the apples:
IMG_1242.jpg

Inside, onions were cooking in butter and brown sugar:
IMG_1244.jpg